It's officially June and that means it's time for our monthly must haves! Summer is on everyone's mind and we are bringing you our favorite design picks to kick off the season. Whether you will be soaking up the sun on the regular or redecorating your pad, you are going to want all of these. Like, right now.
Whether you're grooming little sis for her college send-off or need stylish space savers for your own digs, these dorm-room essentials have a little something for everyone. Keep reading to see the compact, multitasking trinkets we're adding to our Summer shopping list!
- Horizon Round Crunch Can ($20): The faded ombré exterior on this collapsible hamper not only looks better than the mesh alternative, but will also keep your skivvies out of sight.
- Gold Playing Cards ($15): While flash cards might be more scholastic, these will come in handy for those much-needed study breaks.
- White-Framed Mirror ($6): Hang this slim mirror on the inside of your closet door to ensure you're all set from head to toe.
- Turkish Turquoise Striped Fouta Towel ($45): These towels not only look and feel luxe, but also can be folded and stacked in tiny quarters thanks to their bulk-free form.
- Acrylic Bed Tray ($80): Use this to hold that hot laptop while pulling an all-nighter in bed.
- Accordion Folder ($48): Keep paperwork organized and at the ready with this eye-catching file.
- Wire Pencil Cup ($35): Pretty blue tones will add a pop of color and pattern to a lackluster desk.
- Kimono Jemina Robe ($85): Slip into something beautiful and comfortable for those trips to and from the communal showers.
- Alarm Dock ($38): This dock turns your iPhone into a cool, midcentury-inspired alarm clock while it charges.
- Modern Clip Lamp ($59): The small scale, focused lighting, and clip attachment let you easily move your study spot from your desk to your bed.
No look is complete without standout jewels, and the season's latest highlights bold cuts and colors to complement every warm-weather repertoire. Add a jolt of color to your ensemble with an exotic embellished piece, go modern in metal, or dazzle the night in colored rhinestones and crystals.
It's not always easy to commit to color, but with these bright orange accents, you can bring the bright, summery shade to your space in a more subtle way. With items for your bedroom, living room, and kitchen, we're sharing a range of stylish picks that are perfect for the sunny season. Take a look at these fun, sophisticated finds for a pop of orange that works for you!
- Metal side table ($149): With a sleek, sculptural shape and an orange finish, this table will give your space an eclectic feel.
- Patterned pouf ($155): Perfect for an extra seat or footstool, this bright orange pouf is a versatile, go-anywhere piece.
- Double gourd lamp ($315): With an orange glazed finish, this retro-inspired lamp will carry some personality into any room.
- Monogram jewelry box ($78): Bring a bold, personalized touch to your bedroom with C. Wonder's brightly colored jewelry box.
- Heart pillow ($48): Add some fun and whimsy to your living room with this heart-embellished throw pillow.
- Tray ($25): For your living room, bedroom, or bar cart, this mango-colored tray features a shiny finish for a touch of glamour.
- Side table ($1,200): Jonathan Adler's orange leather side table features cool contrast stitching and glamorous gold accents.
- Kaleidoscope wastebasket ($69): Pink and orange make a fun, summery pair on this pretty patterned wastebasket.
Sleeping under the stars feels even more magical when you're doing it in 400-thread-count sheets — at least that's part of the philosophy behind California-based Shelter Co.'s glamping service. Depending on the type of experience you're looking for, perks can include anything from a customizable camping box to a fully stocked library and bar. Of course, our interests are a bit biased. The fully furnished tents capture the pampered pioneer aesthetic perfectly — so much so that we're tempted to re-create the look for our own glamping experience, even if it's only in our backyards.
If you find yourself kicking off your duvet at night, it might be time for a Summer switch up. Quilts, coverlets, and blankets in breathable fabrics are not only lighter, but they also leave a smoother surface (see designer Jay Jeffers's tips for a perfectly polished bed!). So before you consider that unsightly air-conditioning window unit, peruse these pretty Summer bedding alternatives first!
Instantly refresh your home with the cool and casual touch of yellow decor. Although this color runs on the bright side and can be a bit intimidating, subtly style it into your space using accents and accessories. With items for your entire house (patio included), these pieces are anything but boring. Check out our favorites below!
- Linen napkins ($80 for four): These sunny table linens can be used for both formal and casual dining.
- Mimosa wallpaper ($150 per roll): Use this bold wallpaper to brighten up a powder room or accent wall.
- Table lamp ($199): With its glossy finish and sleek shade, this contemporary lamp will easily brighten up a room — even when it's not plugged in!
- Glass tumbler ($10): When you're not sipping from these tumblers, they offer bright touch to your home's bar.
- Beaded pillow ($37): This perfect union of yellow and metallics will add a luxe touch to seating.
- Porcelain vase ($225): With or without flowers, this vase is an easy way to incorporate color into your room.
- Oblong tray ($28): Serve up yellow using this cheery, ikat tray.
- Fabric placemat ($14): No matter the occasion, brighten up your table setting with these placemats.
- Yellow lounge chair ($199, originally $229): Give your patio a casual, retro vibe with this bright chair.
Gone are the days of being bound to tiresome outdoor fabrics in solid colors. This season, we're falling for wildly fun prints that celebrate bold colors and mesmerizing patterns. With outdoor fabrics this chic, you'll be tempted to steal them for indoor uses too — like upholstering a headboard or chair that sits in a sunny nook of your home. Keep reading to see the outdoor fabrics we're eyeing – starting at $8 per yard!
For some reason, shopping for Father's Day always seems to be tough — until this year! Forget a boring sports tee or that basic grill set, and get him something he will truly appreciate. We found unexpected gifts that are perfect for all dads: the mix master, the outdoor enthusiast, and the techie. Consider this your Father's Day gift guide made easy. Oh, one more thing: everything is under $50. Now get to it!
- Barware set ($30): Between the shaker and the strainer, this barware set has everything Dad needs for his favorite cocktail.
- The Bike Owner's Handbook ($15): A simple guide to bike repair, this book is perfect for any dad who is a cycling enthusiast or a casual biker.
- Luggage tags ($28 each): For the dad on the go, consider these sleek, hide luggage tags.
Catch shade in this season's best sunglasses with a little help from our ultimate Summer '13 shopping guide to the most covet-worthy eyewear trends. Want to make a statement? Go for embellished shades adorned with glitter or patterns, or try a standout hue. Looking to channel a bit of that downtown cool-kid vibe? Go for of-the-moment round shades or translucent frames. More of a glamour girl? Opt for a retro cat-eye silhouette or an ultrareflective mirrored lens. Find yourself reaching for more classic styles? Try a half-frame like the iconic Clubmaster. Whatever your style or budget, we have the hottest sunglasses right here, so click on to find your perfect pair.
— Additional reporting by Marisa Tom