If we had to describe Dolce & Gabbana's Fall 2012 collection in one word, it would be opulent. Designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana have a knack for capturing the essence and unbridled spirit of the Italian woman, and for Fall they showed a luxe, Sicilian Baroque-inspired collection of lace, elaborate brocade embroidery, and sleek, sexy silhouettes. The show opened with stunning rose-covered chandeliers and sweeping floral arrangements to the music of authentic Italian opera — big names like Natasha Poly, Bianca Balti, and Joan Smalls graced the runway in delicate lace dresses with lavish gold embellishments, sweet, frothy frocks in layers of tulle, and ruffled bloomers that would make even Sophia Loren blush. The plunging necklines of Spring '12 were replaced with ladylike high ruffles and bow-ties, and although sheer lace was prevalent, most hemlines stayed well below the knee for a true sophisticated spin on la dolce vita. The bold needlepoint-style florals and cherubic mural prints will also be an editorial dream come Fall — we can already see stars like Blake Lively and Sarah Jessica Parker getting shot in them. Get the complete breakdown below.
- Trends: Lots of lace, floral motifs, cherub prints, brocade, layers of tulle.
- Colors: Black, white, nude, gold.
- Key Piece: The sheer lace dress with brocade cape, the gold-encrusted party dress with black veil.
- Accessories: Bejeweled headbands, decadent drop earrings and statement necklaces, velvet evening bags, lace knee socks, carved wood heels.
- Who Would Wear It: Risk-takers like Zoe Saldana, Anna Dello Russo, and Lana Del Rey, not to mention Dame Helen Mirren, who sat front row at the show.