For the low-key sophisticate, look no further than Elie Tahari's Fall 2013 collection. Skinny trousers, sleek outerwear, slouchy knitwear, and sexier formfitting sheaths were showcased in shades of black and blue, while textural intrigue came courtesy of leopard-print paneling, luxe fur collars and trims, and leather accents. Come Fall, Tahari's girl will know how to dress for the office and the after-hours set in one chic outfit, which means versatility and functionality are both part of the collection's slick appeal. See it all inside.
Those stories and more — here, in our daily news roundup.
- Amanda Brooks, we missed you. The former Barneys fashion director has resurfaced, sort of. She appears as one of the models in Bottega Veneta's new jewelry catalog, shot by Patrick Demarchelier. [The Cut]
- Waris Ahluwalia's entertaining "Love and Waris" column has also resurfaced. This edition's topics: the secret to spiritual happiness, improving one's memory, and disappointing birthday presents. [Style.com]
- Chris Brown may soon be the next It model. The singer has signed a contract with Wilhelmina International. [Fashionista]
- Karlie Kloss isn't the only one who has decided to change her hair. Lana Del Rey has debuted a banging new 'do. [Elle UK]
- Carmen Borgonovo, senior fashion editor at Harper's Bazaar, is the most recent editor to make the move to retail; Borgonovo has been named fashion director at My-Wardrobe.com. [Vogue UK]
- Speaking of editor moves, Kate Lanphear might be leaving Elle. [Fashionista]
- Moda Operandi will soon offer in-season pieces in addition to its popular trunk shows. [Fashionista]
- Louis Vuitton now does stationery. [WWD]
- Elie Tahari, who spent his childhood in orphanages, was honored by the Worldwide Orphan's Foundation. [Vogue UK]
Peplum is a huge Hollywood trend right now, and you can wear it many ways: casually glam like Ashley Madekwe did in LA, or professionally chic like actress America Ferrera's style in NYC. She paired a purple Elie Tahari peplum top — here are the black and aqua versions ($248) — with a black pencil skirt and purple suede Ash pumps. A simple gold bracelet and stud earrings completed her feminine and sleek look. Either invest in America's exact top in black or aqua, or get this similar ASOS peplum top ($38) to match with your pencil skirts for work.
Elie Tahari said he wanted his Spring 2013 presentation for Elie Tahari to look like "a 1950s cocktail party in a Richard Neutra house in Palm Springs." That meant lots of bright colors like coral, pool blue, and pale green alongside images of tropical flowers and watercolor prints. Among the collection of well-tailored basics, Tahari's use of lace contributed to the most compelling pieces. A black floral version was laid over a sparkly blue A-line cocktail dress with strong pleats, and skirts combined brightly colored lace with contrast neon piping at the hem.
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- Good news: Roberto Cavalli is designing a collaboration for Target. Bad news: it's only going to be sold at Target Australia. Strange news: Target Australia is not affiliated with Target Corporation US at all — even though they share a red bullseye logo. [The Daily Telegraph]
- "She is a real woman . . . strong and happy," Diane von Furstenberg said of Arizona Muse, the face of her Fall 2012 campaign. "She's determined, she is talented, she is a hard worker and she knows what she wants. And that is so DVF." [WWD]
- Karl Lagerfeld was once a little boy. [Racked]
- Elie Tahari has added handbags and small leather goods to his diffusion line T Tahari. The bags are priced between $198 and $328 and will be sold at department stores like Nordstrom and Dillard's. "Whoever is going to manage to bring luxury to the consumer is going to have a great business," Tahari said. [WWD]
- Karolina Kurkova says lemon juice and steam are key to keeping her skin crystal clear. [Modelinia]
- As a child, Nicole Richie was obsessed with (and dressed herself like) the TV character Punky Brewster. "She was my style icon," the designer says. "I would leave the house with a white sock and a black sock and then a green shoe and a red shoe, and I thought I was killing it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever." [Teen Vogue]
- Anthropologie has launched an in-house line of lipstick, called Albeit. The first collection of Fall colors is expected in stores and on the retailer's website by late August. [Fashion Etc.]
Photo: Models walk in Roberto Cavalli's Fall 2012 show.
Elie Tahari was all about "real women" for Fall '12, and to further prove that point, he enlisted his friends, family, and staff to model the collection. Amongst the casual, party-like setting — his "models" were spotted sipping champagne and even cradling a baby — Tahari showcased a jewel-toned mix of separates and some luxe accessories. Jackets and blazers were refreshed with tonal pairings, trousers ranged from slim to wide-legged, and smart sheath dresses were elevated with laser cutouts. Meanwhile, an array of leather and fur touches injected a modernized touch across the board. Highlights included a purple asymmetrical leather jacket paired with a cobalt silk top and cropped trousers, and a tonal colorblocked blazer. More details from the collection below.
- Trends: Colored fur, peplum.
- Colors: Blue, navy, purple, black, fuchsia.
- Key Look: The purple asymmetrical leather jacket and fur accessories.
- Accessories: Ankle boots, patent pumps, leather opera gloves, fur clutches.
- Who Would Wear It: Everyday working women looking to add a chic touch to their look.
Pre-Fashion Week Profile: Elie Tahari Talks Guilty Pleasures and Favorite Songs, Plus See an Exclusive Sketch!
As we prepare ourselves — and our wardrobes — for New York Fashion Week, designers are in final preparations to present their Spring 2012 collections, and that final stretch can be wildly chaotic. We interrupted the madness long enough to get the skinny on designers' guilty pleasures, what they love and hate most about Fashion Week, current favorite songs, and more. First up: Elie Tahari, the man known for creating simultaneously modern and elegant confections worn by Hollywood hotties such as Leighton Meester and Emmy Rossum.
Guilty pleasures during Fashion Week: I try to take the morning for myself, because once I get to work it never stops . . .
Top songs in constant rotation: Sexy love songs and Alicia Keys's “Empire State of Mind”
Favorite thing about Fashion Week in September: I love the excitement, you can feel it all over the city and except for the occasional hurricane — the weather is usually amazing. In September it’s like starting all over . . . “back to school.”
Most hated thing about Fashion Week: I don’t like NYC traffic!
Check out another sketch from his Spring '12 collection, plus Elie's FNO plans, and how he's celebrating the end of Fashion Week.
Victoria Justice dazzled in an embellished Theia mini at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards in LA. She paired her fierce frock with metallic Rock and Republic chain pumps, sparkling hoops, and an Elie Tahari clutch. Sleek strands, berry lipstick, and gold foil nail polish finished off Victoria's party style. Shop our editors' picks to re-create this stunning ensemble.
Whitney Port stepped out for Nylon's anniversary fete channeling the girlie-gone-tough vibe. We love the look for its playful approach to night-out wear, mixing a tulle miniskirt ($277, originally $395) and a biker-chic leather jacket ($110). To add to the eclectic mix, Whitney styles it up with a sheer floral-print tee and a pair of bow-adorned pumps. Looking for something equally unexpected-cool to try on for the weekend? Just click the items above to shop the look.
If you're looking for a chic way to outfit your denim jacket for Spring, Nicky Hilton offers up the perfect example. Looking equal parts polished and on-trend, she stepped out for a Chanel party in LA in fresh stripes and a draped miniskirt, topped with a shrunken denim jacket ($85). To finish, a pair of ladylike pumps ($298) and a classic Birkin bag balance the jacket's casual vibe. Just shop our picks above to achieve a look that's similarly cool and put-together.
Visit CelebStyle for lots more celebrity street style!