I was looking at the most recent Rachel Bilson pictures when something occurred to me: Were she taller, her disheveled, London-inspired outfit would have been flawless. But since Rachel can't make herself grow, there has to be a way to rock this outfit and make it look more flattering.
Before I offer up some obvious and not-so-obvious solutions for shorter gals who want to mimic her outfit, let's dissect what's wrong with her look. Rachel's not quite 5'4", so an overly-layered ensemble makes her look frumpy and stout. The tiered dress is too long for her petite frame, as is her leather jacket. The Jovovich-Hawk for Target frock is A-line, so it makes the actress look like she has wide hips. To top it all off, she's wearing flats.
To see some of my solutions for making short look tall, read more.
- A shorter version of the dress or jacket would have given the illusion that she's taller.
- A narrower dress bottom would have made her look less wide.
- Assuming her dress and jacket don't come in shorter versions, all Rachel needed to do was throw on a pair of high heels or wedges to make the outfit more flattering.
Squint your eyes and imagine Rachel's look with lace-up heels. Much more flattering, right? "But what if wearing heels to the supermarket isn't my idea of fun, Fab?" you may ask.
- If that's the case, shorter girls who want to wear flats should don shorter hemlines and cropped jackets.
- Don't overlayer unless it's cold outside! The more you layer, the frumpier you look.