Derek Lam has made a name for himself in classic American sportswear, bringing modern updates to silhouettes we happily define as classics. Fall 2011 continues his refinement of sportswear. Trousers were colorblocked, oversize menswear coats received sporty stripes, and fur and leather were reworked into cropped vests and pencil skirts. Layering continued to be big, in the form of long tunics over pants, as does the color red, which designers have been using to punch up gray-toned collections. For the finale, Derek went romantic and long, in the form of flowy gowns, including one supersexy version in black leather and navy silk. Take a look at the full runway and backstage interview with the designer on FabSugarTV.
- Trends: Fur details, plaid, leather.
- Colors: Navy, cream, black, red, cobalt.
- Key Looks: The slick leather jackets.
- Accessories: Cream leather calf-length booties.
- Who Would Wear It: Classic women who love a modern twist to their clothes.