I LOVE high heeled shoes, the higher the better has always been my motto. As we all know, however, the higher the heels, the more painful the journey.
In their August issue, Shop, Etc magazine did an awesome spread on "Heels That Don't Hurt" showcasing over 40 pairs of gorgeous high heels that are supposedly pain-free. They also offered these tips while shopping for your pair of comfortable stilettos:
- Go For Padding - When looking for a shoe, press your thumb along the ball of the foot area and the arch. If your thumb springs back, the padding is sufficient
- Look For Rubber Soles - Rubber soles prevent your feet from slipping out and allow the sole to grip the floor, which increases comfort. Rubber is also very pliable and has properties that allow it to conform to the foot and stretch
- Keep it Real - Natural fibers like leather allow the shoe to breath whereas synthetic tops and insoles lead to blisters
- Stay on Your Toes - Opt for open-toed or round-toed shoes vs. pointy ones. When wearing an enclosed round-toe, make sure there is one thumb's width from the end of the shoe to the big toe when you are standing
- Go Out on a Wedge - Stacked, thicker heels such as wedges are best, as they stabilize your weight and keep pressure off the balls of your foot.
- Time It Right - Always shop for shoes at midday because some swelling has already happened by then. If you purchase them at the beginning of the day, they may not fit when you try them on later
- Comfort is Costly - Natural materials and well-made shoes are not cheap. Experts say scrimp on the rest of your wardrobe to make sure your shoes are as comfortable as possible
Shop Etc recommends 40 great pairs of shoes, to see a few of my favorites, read more
KORS Michael Kors "Lyric", $220.00, Available here
Cole Haan "Tallah" Pump, $225.00, Available here
Kate Spade "Karolina", $250.00, Available here
Ashley Dearborn, "Coco" Quilted Wedges, $230.00, Available here after September 1st.
C Label, "Darlene" Wedges, $209.00, Available here
Coach, "Danna" Pumps, $218.00, Available here