There was lots of action amidst the rain at last night's NYC premiere of Grey Gardens. A couple fashion designers attended the fabulous event — Peter Som and Jason Wu — and we had the chance to chat it up with designer-of-the-moment Wu, here with model Hilary Rhoda in his design.
He spoke of his most famous fan, Michelle Obama, and on a more serious note, about managing in this ever-worsening economy. And for everyone wondering if he has anything in the works for the first lady, Wu replied, "You know it’s too early to say right now."
- On making an iconic presidential dress:“It’s fantastic and to have a dress in the Smithsonian is not too shabby either.”
- On being a young designer:“As a designer, I’m always creative. To me just right now I’m just buried in my work and haven’t had a moment to think about it. Someone pointed out to me, ‘Your dress is going to outlive you.’ And I’m like ‘That’s pretty great!'"
- Thoughts on Michelle’s style:“I think Michelle Obama’s style is fantastic and it’s very timeless and it’s inspirational. She really owns it and I think that’s what a truly stylish woman is, someone who wears her clothes with confidence."
- On Michelle's style during her European tour:"It was great she championed American designers — what more can we ask for, right?"
- On doing anything differently with the looming economy:"I’m just really concentrating on the business. It’s clothes first, I’m just keeping really focused."
To read the rest, read more.