>> Pre-Fall 2011 collections have been rolling out, with focus squarely on the clothes. And justifiably so — designers like them because they sell extra-well, and we're game because we always like something new to look at. But lest we forget our favorite finishing touches, may we present the best Pre-Fall 2011 accessory offerings thus far, including Oscar de la Renta's feathered confections, left, and Jason Wu's Elsa Schiaparelli-inspired cigarette heels. Peruse the slideshow for more from the likes of Burberry, Michael Kors, and Rag & Bone.
Pre-Fall is a vital season in fashion — it's the time between Spring and Fall when the seasons are changing and our wardrobes are a mishmash of warm-weather and cold-weather clothes. Pre-Fall 2011 just got released, so let's check out the trends for the upcoming year. Some designers, like DKNY and Moschino Cheap & Chic, leaned more toward the Springy side, while others, like Giorgio Armani and Escada, played up Fall layering. The result? A Pre-Fall world filled with brights, moody hues, cargos, leopard, wide-leg trousers, and more!
Nina Garcia Welcomes Second Son; Juergen Teller Shoots Anna Dello Russo's Perfume Ad; Plus, More Spring 2011 Campaign Rumors
- Anna Dello Russo now has a perfume ad, shot by Juergen Teller, to go along with her promotional video [ADR, ADR]
- Nina Garcia welcomed her second son over the weekend, she announced over Twitter: "Delighted to announce that over the wknd we welcomed 8lb13oz Alexander David Conrod into our home! Baby is doing great & Lucas [her oldest son] is thrilled!" [@ninagarcia]
- Stella McCartney also reportedly welcomed her fourth child just before Thanksgiving last week; she just relaunched her website, with behind-the-scenes photos and videos, as well [The Cut, Style File]
- 40 percent of Vogue Italia's readers come from the United States, but Anna Wintour calls Franca Sozzani "magnificent" [WashPo]
- Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott shot Laetitia Casta in London for the Spring 2011 Roberto Cavalli campaign [Laetita Casta]
- More Spring 2011 campaign rumors: Iselin Steiro is said to be the face of Lanvin; Gisele Bundchen of Isabel Marant (by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin); Raquel Zimmermann of Louis Vuitton (by Steven Meisel); and Givenchy's group is said to be Daphne Groeneveld, Iris Strubegger, Mariacarla Boscono, and Natasha Poly [HoM, HoM, TFS]
- Prada, which saw its profits triple in the last nine months, is now eyeing an initial public offering in 2011 rather than 2012 [WWD]
>> Roberto Cavalli doesn't like to be told no. He just celebrated his 40th anniversary in September, and when pondering the guest list, he told W in its December 2010 issue: "I will invite other designers, but they won't come — they are all sh*t."
He also hates to be told he can't do something. "I never understand why God gives the possibility to have children just to woman," Cavalli said, clutching theatrically at his belly. "Oh, my God, my dream would be to have a baby!" And: "When I go to a restaurant and they say, 'We're fully booked,' I say, 'It's Roberto Cavalli,' and they say, 'I will check.' I love it!" the designer said, clapping his hands with relish.
Cavalli, who turns 70 on Monday, definitely has his quirks — he conducts business from a 15-year-old Nokia cell phone the size of a shoe. "I bought all of the ones on eBay," he told W. And late at night, he has been writing a memoir of sorts — on his life in fashion, but more importantly to him, on the way he has fashioned his life. "I don't know what to write [about the] last 15 years," he said. "What model I have in my fashion show?"
Taylor Swift celebrated 40 years of Roberto Cavalli and did just like Rachel Bilson and Tyra Banks — she wore a dress by the celebrated designer. The option here is strapless, but it's identical in every other way. Grab some caged pumps and pave earrings and shine the night away like Taylor.
Roberto Cavalli Admits He's Not the Party Animal He Used to Be at His $2 Million 40th Anniversary Bash
>> Roberto Cavalli reportedly spent about $2 million on his 40th anniversary bash held last night at the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris — and that doesn't include the budget allotted to bringing Natalia Vodianova (and perhaps some of the other 1,200 attendees) to the party. As the New York Times's Eric Wilson wrote: "It was one of those fashion parties that felt like another era, when it was possible to enjoy such extravagance without wondering how a designer could possibly be selling enough animal-printed evening gowns and exuberantly distressed denim to afford it all."
Kylie Minogue performed, the walls were lined with Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott's images of models in Cavalli, and Heidi Klum introduced the designer as a four-tier, 10-foot birthday cake covered in sparklers was wheeled onto the stage. But even through all that, Cavalli, almost 70, admitted he's not the party animal he used to be: “Don’t say it, don’t say it, please, because the people should still dream with me,” he said. “The young should think that, instead of sparkling water, I drink Krug, or that I still smoke 10 Cuban cigars every day.”
Roberto Cavalli gathered his beautiful lady friends together in France last night during Paris Fashion Week to celebrate his 40th year in business with a lavish party — check out snaps from inside the bash. Rachel Bilson was in town after a stint in Italy, celebrating both Roberto's accomplishment and her own big return to TV. Bar Refaeli was all covered up to pose on the carpet, while nearby, Heidi Klum smiled for the cameras in a shimmery gold gown. Heidi was wearing more clothes than in her scantily-clad new video with husband Seal, and it looks like she's planning to keep more covered up in the future, as she just confirmed that she's parting ways with Victoria's Secret after 13 years.
Rachel Bilson really knows how to get glamourous. She proved this point at Roberto Cavalli's 40th anniversary party wearing a gown by the designer with minimal accessories. All she really needed was a clutch and a cocktail ring, but follow Bilson's lead, and add a complementary nail polish to the mix. Shop the look now.