We first saw Roksanda Ilincic's collection as a part of Topshop's New Generation Initiative in 2005 — cut to Spring 2012 fashion week, and the designer is showcasing the kind of modern separates and dresses with a hint of the avant-garde sensibility she became known for. The collection hits on all the wardrobe essentials — delivering sheath dresses, maxis, blouses, and trousers — all the makeup for a perfectly outfitted closet but with whimsical edge. Hot pink makes its way onto a day dress, turquoise brightens up a top and pants, and floral and wide windowpane prints make their way across the collection. Then, there's the play with volume and proportion, like slim pencil-skirted dresses with bell-sleeved tops; dresses are either straight up or down or full and flared. You can sense the sophistication and the playfulness that have made both Michelle Obama and Kate Middleton fans of Roksanda. Like the balance between the model sporting the pink locks and the perfectly sensible little neutral dress she's wearing — there's a just a touch of fantasy underlying the impeccably chic execution.
- Trends: Colorblocking, maxi silhouettes, volume.
- Colors: Pink, blue, turquoise, gray, nude, gold yellow, florals.
- Key Look: The hot pink bell-sleeved sheath dress.
- Accessories: Knit headbands and beanies, bright ankle-strap heels.
- Who Would Wear It: Girls with an eye for sophisticated cuts and statement color; fans like Michelle Obama and Kate Middleton, but we bet Kate Bosworth could rock that hot pink dress .