Yesterday, we checked out the Derek Lam for Kohl's collection, and while we sadly can't share any pictures with you at the moment (photos are embargoed), believe us when we say the line inspired by Rio — one of Lam's favorite vacation destinations — is pretty darn amazing. The standout pieces? The swimwear; no easy feat considering this was Lam's first time ever designing swimwear. So does that mean a swimwear line is in the works for his namesake collection? "There's a lot of technical know-how, so I was able to get an education on that," said Lam. "So this is going to be a starting point, but I would love to." We hope that means yes.
Swim season is here, and it's time to slip into the perfect Summer bikini. Today, we're helping you do just that — we've rounded up the five hottest trends in swimwear for this season. Watch today's Fab Flash to check out all the trends you need to try, whether you want a bikini reminiscent of a tropical getaway or you're after something sporty to show off your beach volleyball skills. On Allison McNamara: H&M top, Ann Taylor necklace.
The pear shape is like an exaggerated hourglass figure: slim on top, with wider hips, rear, and upper thighs. If you have a pear-shaped body and want to minimize your widest part, while highlighting your most slender parts, here are the things to look for:
We found suits for all types of styles, click our slideshow to see our picks, and click the links to shop. Looking for more tips and tricks? Click over to our ultimate swimsuit guide for more body-specific shopping help.
Now that you've found the Summer suit of your dreams, let's keep the swimwear honeymoon alive. Translation: abide by these five no-fail tips and your beach-ready bikini will keep its shape, won't reek of pool chlorine, and will not fall victim to weird sunscreen-induced discoloration. When the water is calling our name, we know just how easy it is to put our swimsuits through the ringer, but this Summer, we promise: keeping your swimwear in tip-top shape has never been simpler. Keep reading for our holy grail of swimsuit care rules below.
- Anticipate the wear and tear. Chlorine weakens synthetic and polyester fabrics and can break down a suit's elasticity. Not to mention, products like sunscreen and deodorant can discolor and stain your bikini after a couple trips to the water. To minimize the earlier signs of your beach-bunny habits, pretreat your swimsuit with a gentle stain solution soak. We're currently loving The Laundress Stain Solution ($18) because it's a triple threat: nontoxic, biodegradable, and allergen-free.
Left to right, there's a noticeable difference in Victoria's Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel's bikini looks — and we're not just talking about the color scheme. As a bodacious babe on the pages of Victoria's Secret, Candice doesn't seem to be lacking up top. However, when we spied the supermodel hanging off duty in the Miami surf, her bikini told a different story, leading us to one pretty awesome conclusion: a little lift on a Victoria's Secret bikini top goes a long way. The retailer's long been known for its figure-boosting bra silhouettes, and its swim styles offer the same famous lift and support. Moral of the story? If you're looking to play up what you've got, it doesn't take too much to make it happen (especially since so many of the VS figure-enhancing styles are now on sale).
Shop the suits below, and remember these keys to playing up a small bust:
- Flaunt what you have, and fake what you don't. If you're looking to create more cleavage, opt for an underwire bra top. It will help shape and support your breasts without being too over the top. You can also pump up the volume on top with ruffles, bold prints, and light, well-placed padding (just don't overdo it!).
- If you're happy with your bust size and just want to show it off, your best bet is a triangle top. They're notorious for enhancing a small bust in a natural way by lifting and separating.
- Tops with bold prints, ruffles, and embellishments add intrigue and feminine flair and can create the appearance of more curves on top.
We're putting an end to the frustration of shopping for swimwear with our ultimate beach bible. You'll find tons of tips on finding the perfect suit for your figure and beach personality, how to care for your bikini, and of course loads of cool swimwear to shop. We've rounded up all of our Summer swimwear stories and put them in one place for you to peruse now. Just click the photos below to get shopping!
We're taking the frustration out of swimsuit shopping one step at a time; if you're more well-endowed up top, tune in because this one's for you. Having a larger bust might inspire jealousy amongst your girlfriends, but it can be a tricky situation to dress for the beach if you don't know quite how to support what you've got. The truth is that it's not that hard to find suits that are as cute as they are practical for your shape as long as you look for underwire or molded cups to support ample cleavage. Likewise, you're best advised to steer clear of ruffles or embellishments that can add volume or draw the eye up top. Not to worry, we've culled the best swimwear on the market to complement your shape. Read on for the tips and tricks, then click through to find your best match.
- Look for bra-style tops with underwire and adjustable straps.
- Banded halter tops with thick ties offer great support without the expected underwire.
- Molded cups provide extra support and are available in many different styles.
- Explore suits marked D+, which are constructed to support a larger bust.
Photo courtesy of Victoria's Secret
Finding the perfect Summer suit can seem like an impossible task, especially when you don't know quite what you're looking for. We're putting an end to all that with our ultimate guide to getting the right fit for your body. With the help of swimwear fit and style expert Audrey Jimenez over at Everything But Water, we're breaking down the best fit tips for every body type and the best styles to shop for your figure all right here. From curvier frames to athletic body types, we're helping to make sense of the endless swimwear options out there and narrowing down all of our favorite options that were made to fit and flatter your frame. Want to know what you should be looking for? Get the expert's quick-hit dos and don'ts, then click on to find your perfect suit — and resolve to never hate swimsuit shopping again.
- Do try on lots of different suits. Swim styles change all the time, so look outside of your comfort zone and you may find your new favorite silhouette.
- Do go with a smaller size if you are not sure. Swimsuits expand when wet.
- Do use ties and adjustable straps to fit the suit to your body. Go tighter than you think. Once tied, lean forward and adjust until your bust is covered and stays put.
- Don't choose a trendy silhouette if it doesn't fit you well. Great style begins with a great fit, so it's more important to find the silhouette that best flatters your figure.
- Don't assume a size larger or more fabric will give you more flattering coverage. Many women purchase suits that are too large, and as a result, the fabric gaps and the suits don't support properly. If you want more coverage, find a style that offers more coverage.
Summer is code for a lot of things: beach days, sunny weather, cocktails alfresco, and, of course, pool parties. As for the latter, we've got you covered in the what-to-wear department. The most important things to remember? It's all about keeping your bikini bright, your outfit light, and your accessories even lighter. Forget sky-high heels (you're going swimming, right?), embrace the full spectrum of the color wheel, and make sure to come bearing UV-ray protection (hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, and so on). The rest of this seasonal ensemble equation is up to you. To inspire your pool-party panache, we've styled up three examples of what to wear. Click through to see and shop them all now.
Have you ever gotten super excited about a swimsuit, only to buy it and realize that it doesn't match your personality at all? If you're a bona-fide girlie girl, you probably won't feel like yourself in crazy cutouts or tons of fringe, and if you prefer lots of glitz and glam in your swimwear game, the classic, minimalist look may not tickle your fancy. Luckily, you can still experiment with trends without abandoning your signature style and find a suit that not only flatters your figure but matches your mood as well — and we're showing you how. We've rounded up 25 suits, all relating to your swim personality — click through to get shopping now.