Donatella Versace called her Resort 2013 collection "rockmantic," and with all the studded leather pieces and floral prints it contains, it's an appropriate distinction. The offering was partially influenced by the Memphis design movement of the 1980s, which explains why many pieces were brightly colored — and why the print featured on jackets, pants, and dresses juxtaposed images of guitars with flowers and shoes. As is her custom, Versace nodded to her roots by forming the rose gold snaps on a cotton jacket into the shape of the house's Medusa logo.
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- Versace will introduce a collection of one-of-a-kind jewelry pieces during its couture show at the Ritz Paris on Sunday. "Each individual ring from the collection is a work of art," said Donatella Versace. [Material World]
- If rumors are to be believed, Victoria Beckham and Sarah Jessica Parker are in secret, preliminary talks about working on a clothing line together. [Grazia]
- Band of Outsiders is currently staging a 60-hour men's fashion show, during which a model will live in a "small compartment built from cardboard boxes and wood planks adjacent to the window of an anonymous gallery in Paris." The model will change his outfit every 90 minutes. [Fashionista]
- In the July/August 2012 issue of WSJ. Magazine, Marion Cotillard explains that "a good model is someone who will create a story with an image." [WSJ. Magazine]
- Carlos Souza spends his days leading the global public relations team at Valentino, but his apartment is more Asian-inspired than Italian chic. "My home aesthetic is quite an eclectic one and is based on my many travels to far-out places on the globe. Oriental and far-East posts are a big source of inspiration." [Refinery29]
- Kate Upton says she loves fashion — even if she's always photographed in bathing suits. "I'm from Florida, where your whole wardrobe is flip-flops, cutoffs, and bikinis. Now I enjoy fashion so much, but I don't think people realize it, because I'm always in a bikini!" [Vogue]
- Karlie Kloss and Aline Weber are the cheeky stars of Free People's latest catalog. [The Cut]
Photo: Kate Upton photographed for Vogue July 2012 by Sebastian Kim.
Summer is the perfect time to show off your midriff, but if you're hesitant to rock the risqué style, look to countless stylish celebrities for inspiration. Jamie Chung revealed a sliver of her stomach in a cropped tank and high-waisted black tulle skirt, Whitney Port went a bit more daring in her crop top and printed pants, and Selena Gomez went all out ballsy in her bandeau top with matching shorts. Check them and a couple more crop-top-wearing stars out before you try the trend, then shop similar pieces to get started.
Welcome to our latest edition of CelebStyle's top stars of the week. This week's style winners really turned it out from spunky color combos to statement accessories to sunny blazers and more. Our standouts include Zoe Saldana in a dual-tone Louis Vuitton look, Emma Stone in a striped Burberry number, Miranda Kerr in chic printed Joie trousers, and a few more including Jordana Brewster, Nicky Hilton, Selena Gomez, Eva Longoria, and Jennifer Aniston. Check out all of our coveted trendsetters, find out why they were crowned top stars, and shop their noteworthy ensembles for yourself.
Selena Gomez looked beautiful in a mint blue Versace dress, matching studded belt, and patent pointed Giuseppe Zanotti pumps at an Alliance For Children's Rights event in Hollywood. The on-trend color played up her gorgeous sun-kissed skin and dark locks perfectly, while her matching blue eye shadow and pink nail polish completed the look seamlessly. Channel your inner style star in an icy blue dress, matching studded belt, and sophisticated patent pumps for a polished date-night look or switch things up with a neon wrap belt like this pink Diane von Furstenberg one ($122, originally $175) for a sassier touch.
A bevy of trendsetting starlets have been donning peplum lately via tops, skirts, and dresses, sparking a search for the perfect peplum pieces out there. Freida Pinto looked amazing in a lime peplum Versace gown at Cannes, Kim Kardashian was chic in her white peplum top with J Brand leather skinny jeans ($896) in London, and Chrissy Teigen turned heads in a red Georges Chakra peplum frock at the 2012 Billboard Music Awards. Whether you're looking for a peplum dress for a night on the town or just want to sprinkle a little pep in your step with a skirt or top, cruise through to shop 12 killer peplum pieces to satisfy your Hollywood-trend craving.
Lucky magazine is one of our favorite sources for great shopping tips. We're thrilled to share this fabulous story from our friends at Lucky!Summer officially arrives in less than a week but the Versace team is already thinking about next season. The brand just released its Fall/Winter 2012 campaign and although the clothes are technically for cooler weather, we wouldn't mind wearing them now. The über sexy Italian label isn't really big on covering up, so most of the pieces would probably work for a breezy May or June night. But since nothing hits stores for at least two or three months, we're happy to obsess over the pictures first.
The black and white images feature model Elza Luijendijk with a severe blonde bob, posing on chain-covered cement bricks with big moody photographs of the ocean in the background. The styling was clearly influenced by head designer Donatella; we could see her wearing every single look on the red carpet—especially that black mini dress with the knee-high boots.
Click over to Lucky to see every shot.
For more fashion and style from Lucky, here are more Lucky stories.
Versace kicks off Fall 2012 campaign season early with a moody black-and-white spread photographed by famed fashion image-makers Mert & Marcus. Starring Dutch newbie Elza Luijendijk — her debut season was just this past Fall 2012 — the five-page outing was styled by Joe McKenna and David Bradshaw, and also features male models Philipp Schmidt, Dmitriy Tanner, and Kaccey Carrig. "I'm really thrilled with our new campaign," Donatella Versace said. "The result is bold, strong, iconic and perfectly conveys the sexy rock vibe of our Fall/Winter collection."
The 2012 Met Gala brought out some mega stunners from designers like Prada, Givenchy, and Dolce & Gabbana, but two ladies — Solange Knowles and January Jones — outshone in their yellow gowns. Solange opted for a strapless yellow custom-made Rachel Roy creation with a sweet peplum detail, which she paired up with a sparkly Edie Parker clutch, while January chose a futuristic Versace with a bustier bodice. Don't ask us to choose which one we love more because both took our breath away! Inspired by Solange and January's spotlight-worthy yellow gowns, we set out to find equally stunning yellow dresses you'll want to wear all Spring and Summer. Step inside to see and shop your favorite.
It's no surprise that January Jones exudes sex appeal, and tonight's Met Gala red carpet was really her time to shine. The new mom hit the event in a fitted, almost space-age, strapless yellow Versace gown with black leather inserts, accessorizing with a vintage Cartier yellow gold, diamond, and turquoise necklace from 1955. January kept her blond bob stick straight, as to not distract from the architectural aspect of the dress. Do you love January's look?