- From coffee to crimson, check out this season's hottest beauty shade trends
- Get a sneak-peek at Harajuku Mini's holiday collection
- Chipotle's top-secret chili recipe gets hacked
- Pregnant Kristen Bell shows off her baby bump while shopping
- 3 tips to nix the 9-5 munchies
- What your "likes" say about your politics
- Make the most of your maxi dress with a one-minute makeover tip
- Brad Pitt launches his first furniture collection
- Movie sneak peek: Skyfall and Lincoln
- Video: Kristen Stewart celebrates her On the Road premiere with Rob
- How to go to the movies for cheap
- Work Jessica Alba's cropped green jeans into your Fall rotation
- 4 things to love about Instagram's new web profile
- Gift your furry friend with a playful mustache
Posts for November 5th 2012
After 15 years at the helm of Balenciaga, creative director Nicolas Ghesquière is leaving the iconic Parisian brand. Nicolas elevated the brand to It proportions, thanks to the creation of the Lariat bag. While celebrities like Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Julianne Moore have slipped into his designs, Nicolas's current muse is Kristen Stewart, who fronts the brand's Florabotanica fragrance. Watch on to hear more about Nicolas's departure, as well as some words from Kristen on working with the designer. On Allison McNamara: StyleMint top, Stella & Dot necklace, H&M jacket.
The end to any relationship is bittersweet, and the news of Nicolas Ghesquière leaving Balenciaga instantly struck a nerve with us. For 15 years, the French designer has been at the helm of the legendary atelier and responsible for making us covet everything from motorcycle Le Dix bags and Lego-like heels to bold-shouldered futuristic silhouettes, gladiator-inspired knee-high sandals, and space-printed sweatshirts. It shouldn't come as a surprise, then, that his penchant for stylish innovation has earned him a very loyal A-list fan base, a fact that has led to many a red carpet fraught with gorgeous, albeit edgier, dresses to lust after.
Longtime friend and muse Charlotte Gainsbourg can be trusted to wear his cutting-edge designs to just about anything; Kristen Stewart, the current face of the brand's perfume Florabotanica, was just spotted wearing his Spring '13 wares to the On the Road premiere; and Diane Kruger wowed in a champagne-hued remake of a 1930s Balenciaga silhouette at the 2004 Met Gala. Add Sienna Miller, Jennifer Connelly, Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Miranda Kerr to an already-impressive list of Ghesquière devotees, and you've got quite the lineup of star-studded glamour to pore through. Herein find our favorite Nicolas Ghesquière for Balenciaga red-carpet moments, as we pay homage to the man behind 15 years of impeccable craftsmanship.
For Fall, Chanel showed beautiful bags with a frosted finish around the edges, which inspired us to create our very own. All you have to do is watch — in today's DIY, Fashion Reporter Allison McNamara shows you how to transform a basic bag into a whimsical, frosted mauve version. Click on for all the DIY details. On Allison McNamara: Shoshanna dress. Hair and Makeup by Kasia Bohos.
Kristen Stewart really turned up the fashion volume in a black and white Balenciaga getup at the premiere of On the Road at the AFI Fest in LA! The actress chose a revealing white crop top with a pair of black high-waist trousers, then finished off with slick black patent pointy pumps. Red lips and a few demure jewels completed Kristen's bold red-carpet style. What we love most about this ensemble is that it balances sexy up top with fashion-forward on bottom. If you dare, mimic Kristen's latest look at your next party by pairing a white crop top with black high-waist pants. Complete your look with red lips and killer black pumps for major oomph.
We would expect nothing less than colored-denim perfection from colored-jean queen Jessica Alba, and the actress definitely delivered donning faded Mother Pop! green jeans ($126, originally $180) with python tassel loafers after enjoying breakfast with her family in Beverly Hills. Her Autumn-friendly bottoms and red nail polish added a pop of color to her layered look — brown boyfriend blazer, nude tank, and charcoal scarf — while her python shoes injected a touch of glamour. Score Jessica's exact bottoms to work with your neutral staples, then slip on a pair of textured snakeskin loafers to really nail this flawless Fall look.
It's hard to balance warmth and style during the wintertime, but don't let the cold knock you down. To keep you looking cozy and fashion-forward this season, we're looking to shearling, fur, and flannel embellished boots for a new twist on cold weather dressing. From this amazing shearling trimmed pair from Fendi to faux fur-lined boots, you'd be surprised with how much a little cozy touch can go a long way. Here are 13 pairs to prove our point.
Eva Mendes was a vision of retro sexiness in her black lace Dolce & Gabbana dress at the 2012 AFI Fest red carpet in LA. We can't stop staring at her entire ensemble, especially her sheer lace sleeves and sweetheart neckline. We also love the demure knee-length hemline of her little black dress, as well as her choice of accessories: black Brian Atwood pumps, an embellished black Sergio Rossi clutch, a cuff bracelet, and oversize drop earrings. To get Eva's nighttime ladylike look, shop one of our favorite black lace dresses below. Remember to pick something fitted, preferably with a longer hemline, to show off your figure and really nail that retro vibe. Also check out other stars in black lace dresses, perfect for the upcoming holiday party season.
We firmly believe that it takes only a minute to change your look with the right ingredients and a fresh set of eyes. Today, we're helping refresh your wardrobe with one easy styling trick and a piece you likely already have in your closet. The arrival of Fall and Winter usually means we bury our Summer maxi dresses and skirts, but we're all about taking them out of hiding to well, maximize, their potential with a few seasonal layers. Just take a cue from the style setters below: making the most of your maxi is just about giving it a Fall feel.
- The first thing to know — it doesn't matter what color or what fabric your maxi is. Even if you're working with a sheer finish or a creamy white hue, you can give your dress or skirt a more apropos seasonal twist with the other pieces you add in. For instance, if you have a sheer maxi or one with a slit, layer it up underneath with tights for added warmth.
- The most essential part of this look is how you top it off. Because the skirt and dress can feel floaty and at odds with the weather, anchor it with weightier, warmer pieces up top. Try a leather jacket and a cashmere pullover to offset the bottom half. If your dress has a slit, make it more daytime appropriate with a covered up jacket or a sophisticated blazer. Truthfully, these maxis work like a blank canvas, style them up with sweaters, furry vests, and heavier coats to shape them into unexpectedly seasonal outfits.
- Think of your footwear as the key to taking the look from day to night. Your footwear plays a crucial role in setting the tone for this look — with a flat, biker boot, this look becomes casual and daytime-accessible; with a heeled boot you can walk the line from day to night; and with a sexier ankle-strap you give the look a night-out feel.
Taylor Schilling worked an effortlessly edgy ensemble, complete with these Rag & Bone ankle boots ($495), at an event in NYC. Taylor isn't the first starlet to rock Rag & Bone's celeb-favorite Harrow bootie, but we particularly love how she styled hers with leather pants. The blond beauty then layered an oversize camel blazer over a classic chambray top, creating the perfect cool-girl combination. Test-drive this style for your next lunch date by pairing these faux leather pants ($245) with a chambray top, oversize blazer, and Taylor's exact booties.