- Motivational prints to inspire a fresh new year
- The 15 cookbooks from 2012 we can't put down
- Jennifer Aniston covers up to chat with a bikini-clad Emily Blunt
- The ultimate guide to making your beauty resolutions stick
- A sneak peek at Serena & Lily's new Spring line
- Celeb beach styles to inspire your resort shopping (and vacation fantasies)
- See a San Francisco Mediterranean get a modern makeover
- American Horror Story: the most insane moments of "The Name Game"
- Video: Instantly change up your look with these must-have belts
- 50 small and big moves to make at work this year
- Your next workout begins at your desk
- CelebStyle: Ways to work a beanie like a celebrity
- RunKeeper's personal-training app is new and improved
- New Year's resolutions to make with your pet
Posts for January 3rd 2013
We can't think of a better way to kick off 2013 than with a little New Year shopping. This month, a few of us are zoning in on our style resolutions via sleek leather pieces from Tibi and Rag & Bone and chic essentials like the perfect Winter coat from Prabal Gurung's ICB collection. We're also looking to statement accessories — those red-hot Alexander Wang heels are hot gorgeous — to amp up our midseason style. Want to see more irresistible picks? See and shop our editors' January must haves in the slideshow now.
It's been a long fight between designer Tory Burch and her ex-husband, and former business partner, Chris Burch. Allegations from Tory's camp started about a year ago, when reporters claimed that Chris's new line, C. Wonder, looked like a copycat of Tory's signature aesthetic. A few lawsuits, countersuits, and subpoenas later, the two finally came to an agreement in the wee hours of New Year's Eve. Hopefully that means a fresh start for both parties in 2013! On Allison McNamara: Tucker top.
— Additional reporting by Justin Fenner
It was all about ringing in the New Year for some of our favorite snap-happy style setters, and unsurprisingly, they did it in style. Hilary Rhoda tapped into her new "a coconut a day" resolution while on a beach vacation, and Coco Rocha posed with a giant Marilyn Monroe statue during a trip to Palm Springs. Poppy Delevingne cozied up to a new man (though it was unclear if he returned her advances). Karlie Kloss relaxed with some reading material after sharing a New Year's kiss with her main man, Derek Blasberg.
Mom-to-be Malin Akerman stepped out in West Hollywood working floral leggings and and a black leather jacket to create a perfectly edgy weekend look. The actress paired her outfit with a gray high-low tee and Fiorentini+Baker biker boots ($585), then accessorized with a few classics: a black Coach crossbody bag ($168) and Ray-Ban Wayfarers ($150). Whether you're pregnant or not, mimic Malin's sweet-slash-edgy style with a black leather jacket, gray tee, floral leggings, and her exact buckled boots.
Nothing makes us want to reinvigorate our wardrobe with a "New Year, new you" attitude more than a bright, impeccably styled J.Crew lookbook. Shot among the dunes of the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico, with three punchy hot-air balloons as "props," the preppy-cum-cool brand's tried-and-true pieces got a new lease on shelf life via vibrant hues, reworked denim classics, crisp pointed-collar blouses, sequined pencil skirts, and Panama hats worth wearing and more polka dots than you could shake a stick at. Yes, this is one of those times where we could just say to you, "Invest in it all," but it's only January, and there's plenty of time to spread the retail love. We're practicing what we preach (remember those editors' style resolutions?), in that, we're all about honing in on a particular aesthetic or staple right now. Bottom line: no need to go crazy, even if every single article of clothing is covet-worthy. Thus, we're culling invaluable styling tips from each colorful snap, but outlining which pieces are worth investing in for real and which ones are better off as eye candy. Trust us, there's enough of both to inspire your 2013 wardrobe tenfold. Read up on our findings below, then peep the Up, Up, and Away editorial when you keep clicking.
- We know the whole mixed-print styling trick isn't going anywhere, so here's one seriously cool way to amp up the eye-catching effect. Go for bold with a striped and sequined look. We'd go so far as to say that this particular embellished houndstooth pencil skirt ($695) and striped V-neck top ($70) combo is sophisticated enough for the workplace — wouldn't you agree?
- Denim on denim has never looked so sharp, and we're pretty sure it has everything to do with the cropped toothpick jean ($125) and the cropped — and quilted — denim jacket ($198). Instead of evoking the Canadian tuxedo vibe (perhaps a more traditional denim jacket would have done so), the ladylike quilted texture softens the juxtaposition. Add your own version of polished footwear (bow-tie flats, oxford lace-ups, tasseled loafers, or a great pair of heels), and you're all set.
- Move over, black pumps — we've got another pair we're eyeing. Hello, black patent wedges! What we love most about this one part sweet, one part sexy shoe ($268) is its ability to be both a viable night-out option and an office-appropriate accent. The wedge is subtle, the buckled strap details are sleek, and the patent finish gives it a youthful edge. This is a shoe you won't regret splurging on, promise.
Jessica Chastain was spotted out and about in NYC, but instead of wearing the standard khaki trench coat, she chose a gorgeous purple one by Burberry. Underneath it, she sported black skinny high-waisted jeans and a sheer black tee. For accessories, the actress chose a brown Alexander McQueen bag — shop the black version ($2,259) — as well as Prada flower pumps and oversize vintage-inspired sunglasses. To mimic Jessica's latest outfit, look for a similar purple trench that will keep you warm and make you stand out from the crowd of khaki and black trench coats.
Heidi Klum took her family to lunch in Beverly Hills looking slender in skinny jeans and sky-high pumps. Up top she wore a silky olive blazer over a navy tunic, then topped it all off with a fabulous blue and yellow leopard scarf by Theodora & Callum. On her eyes Heidi sported blue Christian Dior cat-eye sunglasses, and on her arm she carried a new black Versace satchel. Re-create Heidi's navy and olive color scheme by matching an olive blazer with a navy top, then finishing off with a coordinating scarf. Don't forget the skinny jeans and pumps to achieve Heidi's svelte look.
If you were to add up all the button-down blouses in your closet, chances are you couldn't count them all on one hand. But out of all those work-appropriate tops you've racked up over the years, how many of them can you say really wow your audience? If your answer is none, then you'll probably want to check out the ones we've tracked down for you. There's everything from a chic lace print to studded collars and retro polka dots — these blouses mean business. Hey, there's no time like the New Year to get yourself a new look, even at the office. Any one of these button-downs will instantly liven up your work wardrobe, and the good news is that with the right bottoms, you can take them right into the weekend.