The end of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month is approaching, but our support for the cause will keep going strong. Sadly, one in eight women will be affected by breast cancer during their lives. While you can still do your part by buying certain pink products or doing a 5K run, one of the easiest things to do is get informed. Whether you know someone who has breast cancer, you're going through it yourself, or you'd simply like to learn more, we've gathered 12 of the best books on the topic. Like the experience itself, some are heavy, some uplifting, some funny, but each offer insight into courageous women battling cancer.
It's not just October — it's Pinktober, aka Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Whether you are a survivor, know someone who is, or you just want to support a great cause, you can do your part by purchasing items that give back. Many of your favorite companies have partnered with organizations like The Breast Cancer Research Foundation and Living Beyond Breast Cancer to bring you pretty pink products you'll want even more once you find out how they support breast cancer awareness. Does it get any better than that?
- Nook cover ($35): While the paisley pattern is lovely, the pink ribbon on the inside of this Nook cover is what's extra special. For every one sold, Barnes & Noble will donate $5 to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- Tweezers ($22): This limited edition of the Tweezerman favorite is just one of many products in Macy's pink shop with proceeds going to breast cancer awareness and research.
- Scarf ($75): The great part about this silk Tory Burch scarf is that it has the classic T print on one side and an animal print on the another, making is super versatile. The even better part? Twenty percent of the purchase goes to breast cancer research.
It's likely you've met a woman affected by breast cancer, and October is the time of year that the beauty industry gets most involved with the cause. From makeup brushes to candles and lotions, many of our favorite beauty brands are pitching in by converting some of their classics into breast cancer-supporting buys. While there are many products going pink this month, we've selected the most charitable around. All these items are donating between 15 and 100 percent of proceeds to an organization that increases awareness or research. So no matter which one you pick, you're giving your all.
Every October, the crop of cute pink products on the shelves remind us that it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It's an important time to focus on the disease that affects 12 percent of women: not only are charities able to raise money to further breast cancer research, but learning about others' experiences and getting their advice helps us learn what we can do to reduce our risk.
While breast cancer can affect women at any age, most cases are in women over 40, which can make the idea of thinking about breast cancer something to put on the back burner if you're in your 20s and healthy. Even so, there are certain things young women can do now to help lower their risk of breast cancer. So while we encourage you to read up on what you can do to reduce your risk (including eating these breast-cancer-preventing foods), we want to know: in your 20s or 30s, do you (or did you) make lifestyle choices to reduce your risk, or do you not think it is important yet?
Beyoncé welcomed October with a snap on Instagram, showing off a bright pink manicure with her pinkie decked out in one of the latest polishes to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Do like Queen Bey, and flip through the pretty pink lacquers that give back to breast cancer research. Nab the sparkling shade from Beyoncé's photo, and mix and match it with the other polishes that give back.
Here are the facts: one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. With odds like that, it's no wonder that the beauty industry is going pink this October. Several top brands have updated their products to raise funds for awareness efforts and medical research. Find out just a few of the beauty brands that are giving back this month.
In honor of October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we're paying tribute to some of the celebrities who've fought the disease in a very public way. We applaud both the courage of these women and the efforts they have made in speaking out for the cause.
— Additional reporting by Emily Bibb
In honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we're looking to gadgets and accessories with social consciousness this October. Hundreds of thousands of women are diagnosed each year, and organizations are trying to reduce that number by spreading knowledge about how to lower risk and when to get mammograms. Support cancer research and awareness with one of these tech goodies that will donate some of the proceeds to pink-ribbon-friendly organizations.
- Komen iPad Stand ($30) — Secure a tablet with the cover's elastic corner bands, and protect its screen by snapping the case shut. The stand has three different viewing angles.
- MobiTour by iLuv ($50) — iLuc is donating 10 percent of the sales of products purchased with the code BCA2013 during the month of October. The Breast Cancer Research Foundation will receive some of the proceeds of tech goodies like this Bluetooth wireless speaker.
- Running Ribbon iPhone Case ($15) — Susan G. Komen's "Running Ribbon" logo decorates the backside of this iPhone 4/4S case.
- Mobile Edge Milano Laptop Bag ($85) — Ten percent of this laptop bag's sale will go directly to Susan G. Komen For the Cure. It can easily fit a 15-inch laptop, plus a smartphone and various accessories.
- USB Mobile Charger ($40) — Devices with a micro USB port can get extra power on the go with this mobile charger.
- USB Car Charger ($20) — Power up to two devices during your commute with this USB Car Charger.
- Scorch Earbuds ($20) — These premium buds come with a matching case so you can safely store them in a purse or gym bag.
- Ring of Hope Pink Tire ($80-$100) — Radar Tires are selling this Ring of Hope Pink Tire for a limited time at Tire Centers Inc.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and to show our support for the cause, we've rounded up 10 of our favorite pink-ribbon fitness products. Help bring awareness to breast cancer by sporting one of these items during your next workout. It's not just about being pretty in pink, either — a percentage of the proceeds from each of these items will help fund breast-cancer-related research, support, and education.