There's excitement in the air as we head into day two of New York Fashion Week. As expected, the street style scene has been filled with gorgeous outfits and trends that we're eager to incorporate into our own wardrobe. It might be Fall, but that's not stopping the chic crowd from making a case for the color du jour: pink. With hues ranging from barely there blush to saturated magenta, it's easy to mimic the girlie look with our shopping picks from Topshop, Carven, and J.Crew. Don a whimsical pink feathered skirt with a slouched tee and heels for a flirty party getup, or take the sleek route in a dusty rose blouse and tailored pencil skirt for a day at the office.
The piece: Carven Multicolored Sweater
The price: $530
Why we want it: We should begin by admittedly being blinded by Carven as a label since the beginning. The mixture of ladylike pieces with a fashion-forward aesthetic had us at hello, and we've been crushing on it ever since. Carven makes it hard for us to choose the one piece we want to drop our hard-earned money on, but we are having very strong feelings for this fitted sweater with a mix of solids and prints. With its shrunken silhouette and asymmetrical cut, it has endless styling opportunities and is getting us very excited for Fall weather.
The piece: Carven Cotton Collar
The price: $140
Why we want it: The dickey is a hotly contested fashion item in our office — some editors are flatly against the idea of a faux collared shirt while others think it's a perfectly suitable way to add a nice layer without all that added bulk of a button-up. I had straddled the line of this polarizing topic . . . until I saw this darling collar from Carven. The sky blue "shirt," with a peach underside and heart-shaped closure, has so much potential underneath long-sleeved shirts, sweaters, and dresses that we can't imagine such a little item being such a bad thing, right?
A-line skirts prove that a slight angle goes a long way, and all you need is one glance to see why. The term, originally utilized by Christian Dior, describes a silhouette that's fitted at the hips and gradually flares out toward the hemline, like a capital "A," creating a flattering shape. Pair this timeless skirt with a tee for an off-duty outfit, or dress it up with a silk top for work. From Proenza Schouler to Topshop, our irresistible picks are spot-on chic.
Alexa Chung made a case for one of Spring's hottest trends — the ladylike suit — at last night's Big British Invite launch, proving that this chic pairing isn't just for the office. Just how did she manage to turn a day look into something totally evening-appropriate? It's all about styling. The It girl smartly paired her lemon-yellow Carven flared skirt and matching cutout blazer with a semisheer top for added edge, then accented her party attire with black suede pumps and a matching clutch. For a whimsical finish, Alexa topped off her look with a jeweled pineapple brooch and pretty pink lips. You, too, can try out the trend for yourself, and here's how.
- Start off with a chic suit. Lighter, brighter hues are ideal for the season — and also keep in mind that flared skirts add an extra-youthful spin to the overall look.
- The blouse is key. Take cues from Alexa and style your skirtsuit with a chic sheer top, or if you're looking for something more casual, try pairing your skirtsuit with a slouchy tee.
- Have fun with accessories. We love how Alexa topped off her look with a fun brooch, but you can also add even more whimsy to your skirtsuit with a printed clutch, statement earrings, or a bold cuff.
Diane Kruger kicked off the promo tour with a book signing in LA for her new movie, The Host, where she stars alongside Max Irons and Jake Abel. We love seeing Diane on the red carpet, and lucky for us, this movie means we'll be seeing a whole lot of red-carpet style from the German actress. Showing off her svelte frame, Diane chose a look consisting of a Carven crop top and a Vanessa Bruno red leather skirt. This is just the first of the style setter's promotional looks, so stay tuned as we document all of Diane's red carpet cameos! On Allison McNamara: BCBG Max Azria jacket, Zara blouse, Club Monaco pants, Kenneth Jay Lane earrings.
Want to know what's really happening at Paris Fashion Week, right now? Luckily, our fashion editors are on the scene and bringing you the scoop straight from the City of Light. Watch as they fill us in on H&M's very first runway show and afterparty, as well as Carven's Fall 2013 collection — which was filled with oversize coats, mod skirt suits, and surprising pastels.
- Brazilian shoe brand Melissa has unveiled sketches of its collaboration with Karl Lagerfeld. [Telegraph]
- An H&M employee reportedly leaked that the fast-fashion retailer will make its much-anticipated online launch this June. An H&M spokesperson, however, said no such date has been determined. [Racked]
- In other ecommerce news, Carven has launched an online boutique to accompany the opening of its flagship on Paris's Left Bank. [WWD]
- BCBG Max Azria Group Inc. has tapped the financial services company Blackstone to advise the brand's potential $1 billion sale. [Business of Fashion]
More of today's fashion news you want to read, right here.