A small portion on a large brush is all you need to quell shine and set makeup, but it's also easy to build upon if you want additional coverage. No need to worry about ashiness or orange tones either: this baby's translucent. What's not to love about this powerful powder?
- The basics: Bailey recommends using a light formula that matches your skin tone in the morning, concentrating your application on the center of your face. "Most people say put powder in the T-zone, but really it's more like the middle zone," he explains. Sweep product on your forehead, chin, and nose, and don't forget the area around the nose.
- For touch-ups: Carry blotting papers instead of a pressed powder compact to avoid caking on more product during the day.
- Insider tip #1: Putting powder on the cheeks can draw attention away from your laugh lines.
- Insider tip #2: If you are planning to have your picture taken, then powder the entire face. Then use highlighter along your jawline to bring out a subtle shine.
- Insider tip #3: Bailey also likes to put powder on the inner eyes. Just use a clean eye shadow brush to cover lids and help eye makeup last.
Source: Flickr user Jonathan Kos-Read
If you've got oily or combination skin like I do, keeping your face from looking shiny can be an ongoing battle. But while I always carry a powder compact with me for emergency de-shining, I don't want to look or smell like an overly powdered old lady. Plus, if your skin has a tendency to flake like mine, powdering your nose will just draw more attention to the problem. Fortunately, a few years ago I discovered what I believe to be the world's most perfect pressed powder, which is made by French cosmetics brand T. LeClerc. It's lightweight enough so as not to accentuate flaky skin but matte enough to battle shine better than any other product I've tried. Plus, it also has some concealer properties, so it smooths out skin and gives your face a velvety texture. As if all of that weren't wonderful enough, it comes packaged in a beautifully luxe metal compact, so you can look stylish while touching up. It's available for $48 here and worth every penny of the price tag.