Harley Viera-Newton is what we'd like to think of as the ultimate downtown cool girl. She's smart, always chic, and has the DJ skills to match. So, when we chatted with Harley front row at Jill Stuart, we had to ask: what's the song she can't get enough of, how's her Fashion Week schedule shaping up, and what are her thoughts on the relationship between style and music? Find out which band should be on your radar, plus more, when you click play. Hair and Makeup by Angelica Perri
Pop into any happening party these days and chances are NYC DJ Harley Viera-Newton will be spinning — here she is at the Missoni For Havaianas bash in LA. But besides being talented in music, Harley is also quite the style maven. She loves everything from bright colors to crop tops to flirty details like ruffles and florals to fashion-forward footwear. First, get to know Harley's sassy style, then shop similar pieces perfect for Summer.
Those stories and more here in our daily news roundup.
- Thakoon Panichgul opened the doors of his art-filled New York studio for a tour, where he revealed that while it's important for him to be surrounded by books and lots of inspiring fabrics, he often doesn't want to look at his own archives. "The past is the past—I don't want to look at it, I want to move forward," he said. [Vogue]
- Paco Rabanne today announced that it has appointed Lydia Maurer as its new creative director. Maurer, 29, will fill the position Manish Arora had until he and the brand decided to part ways in May. [The Cut]
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have had an incredible journey from their days on Full House to winning one of the most prestigious trophies in American fashion from the CFDA. How did they do it? Part of it was building their brand slowly. "They took time to become part of the industry and didn't expect any special favors," says CFDA executive director Steven Kolb. [Fashionista]
- Georgia May Jagger is the new face of The Sunglass Hut, but she may well help create visuals for the chain one day. Jagger is a budding photographer, and Sunglass Hut's CEO Fabio D'Angelantonio said the company is "investigating how [Jagger's] passion for photography can come alive." [WWD]
- Harley Viera-Newton has been selected as one of Target Style's guest editors for June. "I've always loved Target," she says. "They allow people to have fun and dress up and express themselves without going completely broke." [Target Style]
Photo: Courtesy of Vogue