As Fall is starting to settle in, celebrities around the globe are making the most of their skin-baring styles and layering up in plush furs and warm fabrics. This week, Whitney Port pushed the envelope in blush crushed velvet trousers and lizard strap Alexander Wang pumps at a Tacori party in LA, Kim Kardashian showed some leg in a black leather mini and laser-cut Jimmy Choo sandals in Miami, and Olivia Palermo gave a lesson in layering, working a reversible leather and fur vest and cozy knit sweater, both by Zadig & Voltaire, in NYC. And we can't forget Ashley Madekwe and Taylor Swift, who donned noteworthy looks of their own. Get a closer look at our style standouts, then shop their looks for yourself.
Olivia Palermo opted for a Fall-friendly ensemble, complete with black motorcycle Report boots ($100) instead of her usual signature stilettos, while cruising around NYC. The fashion maven layered a reversible leather and fur vest ($785) over her black turtleneck sweater ($770), both by Zadig & Voltaire, and true blue skinny jeans for instant luxe, then accessorized with cat-eye shades, a few gold jewels, and a black Hermés bag for additional glamour. Olivia's perfectly layered look is easy to re-create with pieces you already have in your closet and a few simple tips. Feel free to play with color for a bold take on her low-key look, or swap her denim for a pair of leather pants and sky-high pumps for a night out.
"I wanted it to be graphic and modernist, masculine and feminine but I also wanted to explore and express the richness of Hermès," said Christophe Lemaire of his Spring 2013 collection. And explore he did, translating the house’s iconic printed silk scarves — and its penchant for brightly colored animal skins and travel ready luggage — into a wide-ranging collection of modern clothing. Some looks were paired with backpacks and others with Birkins the size of weekenders, and others had oversize exterior pockets sewn on in a look that nearly telegraphed the peplum silhouette.
Materials were luxurious and vibrant: think scarf prints on dresses, blazers, and bodysuits; cobalt blue suede on a long-sleeved shirt; and turquoise crocodile skin on a sleeveless top and shorts.
Whether you're a modern girl or effortless bohemian, Christophe Lemaire has you covered for Hermès's Spring '13. His latest collection for the brand showed a mix of sharp leather separates cut on colorful leather and, for the more spirited at heart, a beautiful array of draped printed silks. Lemaire melded the season's prevalent leather and sportif theme into tailored mustard yellow leather dresses, colorblocked pencil skirts, and a gorgeous array of tailored croc leather shorts. Meanwhile, the brand's iconic scarf prints were turned into baggy silk shorts paired with tailored blazers, billowy trousers, and tunic dresses adding an exotic touch to the overall feel of the collection. For its iconic accessories, the brand highlighted a chic weekender version of the Birkin, folded leather clutches, and even backpacks for the well-traveled nomad. With Hermès's a-little-bit-of-everything approach for Spring, we're sure there's something to please every sartorial eye.
- Trends: Leather, bold prints, long shorts, colorblocking.
- Colors: Red, cobalt, camel, white, seafoam, ecru, teal, mustard, camel.
- Key Piece: The scarf-print shorts paired with the tailored floral-printed blazer and tie was the perfect mixed-print mashup.
- Accessories: Point-toe pumps, mini leather gloves, disc bracelets, folded clutches, backpacks, weekender bags.
- Who Should Wear It: The tailored separates on Tilda Swinton and the printed pieces on Solange.
This week's top stars ran the style gamut in printed pieces, pastel palettes, and chic travel ensembles. Kristen Stewart mixed color into her Fall wardrobe in Paris, working a yellow Balenciaga leather jacket and printed pants, also by the designer; Alessandra Ambrosio chased the fleeting Summer sun in a crisp white blazer, mint Hudson cutoffs, and studded Valentino pumps in LA; and Kim Kardashian wowed us in black and white colorblock Sass & Bide pants in Sydney. These ladies are just a few of the standout style stars, so cruise through to see who else was crowned, then shop their stellar looks for yourself.
Just two days after telling us all about her recent style transformation, Kim Kardashian got all dressed up and headed to LAX airport to catch another flight. She stuck with her streak of dark colors, sporting a gray silk-and-knit sweater with a black leather jacket, black leather leggings, black pumps, these Grey Ant square sunglasses ($270), and her black crocodile Hermes tote. To add a bit of sparkle, Kim wore a chain and rhinestone necklace. Re-create her latest look when you're feeling extra slick by shopping similar pieces below.
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- Artist Kermit Oliver has designed a handful of luxurious silk scarf prints for Hermès — like the above work, titled "Faune et Flore du Texas" — since the late '80s, but he pays his bills working the night shift at the post office in Waco, TX. [Texas Monthly]
- Keija Minor became the first African American editor in chief at a Condé Nast publication when the publishing house announced she would replace Anne Fulenwider at Brides. Fulenwider is now the head editor at Marie Claire, replacing Joanna Coles, who left to lead Cosmopolitan. [Fashionista]
- Actress Emma Watson is "over the actor-designer thing," she says. "Models are actresses and actresses are models and actresses are designing sofas and it's crazy." [Nylon]
- Tom Ford says dressing Daniel Craig for the new James Bond movie, Skyfall, was a great opportunity, but not too much of a challenge. "We didn't really modify our suits, as James Bond is a bit like our guy — classic and extremely elegant," says Ford. [Vogue UK]
- "I don't like pants. I find they're less tomboyish," explains model Charlotte Kemp Muhl. "If I want to pee on the side of the road — which I do all the time — it's going to take way longer if I'm in pants." [StyleLikeU]
Photo via Piasa.
As she made her way through the airport in Sydney, Kim Kardashian revealed one of her chicest ensembles yet: a black scoop tank with black-and-white colorblock pants by Australian label Sass & Bide. The reality star accessorized with black flat-top Céline sunglasses, her "Mason Loves Penelope" necklace, a gold watch, black ankle-strap sandals, and a crocodile Hermes tote. Re-create Kim's slick travel style by pairing similar black-and-white pants — we love the Pucci ones below, as well as these by J.Crew ($128) — with a black tank and black statement accessories. Dress them down with flats for day, pumps for work, and sky-high heels for evening.
It's actress and model Byrdie Bell's job to look good in front of the cameras, and she didn't disappoint when she styled a yellow tweed Alice + Olivia miniskirt ($297) with a black leather jacket at the Alice + Olivia show Spring 2013 show at New York Fashion Week. Byrdie's white button-down blouse and suede nude Herve Leger pumps let her textured bottoms take the spotlight, while her tan Hermés tote injected major luxe. Show off your gams in Byrdie's exact tweed skirt all Fall by pairing it with tights or leggings and a cozy coat when the temperatures start to fall.
From her gold bib necklace and black Hermes tote to her oversize cat-eye shades ($149) and cheeky fox phone cover ($48), both by Tory Burch, Jordana Brewster's latest LA look is all about the accessories. The actress started with a basic tan t-shirt — which upon first glance looks like a Peter Pan collar top — red skinny jeans, and black flip-flops, then layered on a sparkly statement necklace to take her low-key look to new heights. Take a cue from Jordana and work a simple T and red denim with statement accessories or swap her flip-flops for these cheeky Tory Burch smoking loafers ($250) to take your look to foxy new heights.