The ICB by Prabal Gurung Spring 2014 collection was decidedly more relaxed than his high-drama runway show for his eponymous line. From slouchy-yet-sculpted crop tops to boxy jackets and tent dresses, basic staples and wardrobe-maximizing separates were aplenty. Vinyl paillettes stitched onto organza dresses was as done-up as it got. Watch on to see the entire collection in action.
After the high-drama runway show for his eponymous label earlier in the week, it was refreshing to get a decidedly pared-down offering with the Spring 2014 collection of ICB by Prabal Gurung. This season's lineup was relaxed from head to toe (literally — the models wore mesh footies inside their silver metallic platforms). From slouchy-yet-sculpted crop tops to boxy jackets and tent dresses, basic staples and wardrobe-maximizing separates were aplenty. Vinyl paillettes stitched onto organza dresses was as done-up as it got, and that's fine by us.
See all the photos and video of the collection here.
It's no strange thing for a designer's work to inspire a music video, but until Prabal Gurung said he took cues for ICB's Resort 2014 collection from Solange Knowles's video for her single "Losing You," we'd rarely heard of it happening the other way around.
The video, which Knowles shot in the streets of Cape Town, South Africa, gave Gurung a starting point for the colors and patterns in this collection — one of which is based on the wallpaper of one of the buildings in the video.
But while the clothes are vibrant, they're also fairly grounded. Gurung wanted the clothes to make sense for November, when Resort collections end up in stores, so while there are healthy shots of bright red, emerald green, and sapphire, there's also a lot of black. The shapes, while edgy, are wearable and fun — like a striped bomber jacket with generous sleeves and a green and blue dress with an asymmetrical skirt.
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- After seasons of working with MAC Cosmetics, Alexander Wang will partner with Nars on his Spring 2013 show during New York Fashion Week. [Style.com]
- For its debut ad campaign, accessories line Pour La Victoire enlisted Terry Richardson to photograph model Jessica Hart at a club in New York City. [WWD]
- Just like her ready-to-wear, Stella McCartney's Olympic uniforms for Team Great Britain are the subject of envy and desire. "Everyone in the Olympic Village wants to trade with us," said gold medalist rower Pete Reed. "Lots of other nations look so plain and flat. Our kit is really something to be proud of." [Vogue UK]
- ICB — the brand revived by Prabal Gurung — will debut its first American ad campaign in the September issue of Vogue. [The Cut]
- Love Magazine partnered with artist Yayoi Kusama (who herself recently partnered with Louis Vuitton) on an iPad app that allows users to employ Kusama's favorite decoration: the dot. [Refinery29]
- Heidi Klum has reprised her role as the face of Jordache Jeans. She first partnered with the brand in 2007 and designed a capsule collection for it in 2008. [Styleite]
Photo: Gisele Bundchen does her makeup backstage before Alexander Wang's Fall 2012 show.