You've all heard that black makes you look slimmer and taller. While that's true, it's not the only trick in the book. There are a dozen other ways to elongate yourself without having to look goth. Take a look at the real-life examples below. For The Spirit LA premiere, Eva Mendes chose a Bill Blass maxi that, because it grazed the carpet, made her appear taller. Vertical stripes, as shown in the center editorial, and long cardigans, like on Katie Holmes, can also do the trick. Proceed for more tips.
- Maxi Dresses: Like in Eva's case, maxi dresses give the illusion of tallness because they provide one straight line from top to bottom, without any interruptions.
- Long Cardigans: It's a misconception that everything long makes you look tall. But a long cardigan, past your waist, is one casual way to do it. The darker the color the better.
- Long, Wide-Leg Trousers: Be sure to find a style that grazes the floor, and preferably covers your shoes. They're never to be worn with flats, only high heels!
- Platforms: It's no secret that platform shoes can literally add inches to your height. For a more subtle approach, choose a shoe with a hidden platform.
- Vertical Stripes: Unlike horizontal stripes, which cut you off, vertical stripes keep going and going.
To see more tips, and to shop a widget of elongating pieces, read more