Across the pond in Paris and London, fashion insiders from all parts of the world are opting to sling their jackets over their shoulders rather than wear them fully. Why? Because it makes for a nonchalant look that elevates your chic status times 10. Everyone from Liv Tyler to Katy Perry to Carine Roitfeld and so many more celebs are embracing the Euro-style trend with blazers, jackets, and coats of all styles. But even if you don't live in Europe, or aren't even visiting soon, that doesn't mean you can't get in on the sharp trend. Step inside to see which fashion insiders have slung their jackets over their shoulders and to shop similar pieces for your next jacket-slinging effect.
It's no secret that Nina Garcia loves fashion, so her latest project — designing a pair of super-chic Havaianas flip flops — was a natural match. "It's a classic with a classic. Havaianas have become one of the classic staples in a wardrobe, and so has leopard print, so why not combine them together and make them chic for the beach or the city?" Nina, who's celebrating her birthday today, told us. So how would the Marie Claire fashion director describe her own shoe personality? "I like to have fun with my shoes," Nina said. "I think I am very streamlined in the way I dress, but when it comes to the accessories that's where I like to take risks and have fun. Also accessories are the easiest way to update your wardrobe." Buy a pair of Nina Garcia's leopard Havaianas here, then step inside to see and shop her five most stunning shoe moments!
The color purple has been in the mix of some of Hollywood's hottest closets lately. Everyone from Solange Knowles to Doutzen Kroes to Busy Philipps to Nina Garcia has been working the royal hue into outfits. Taking a cue from them, we should do the same for our daytime and nighttime ensembles. Step inside to get a closer look at five stylish celebs wearing the hue, then be sure to shop our favorite purple pieces for your own closet.
Heidi Klum was up bright and early in NYC's Battery Park today to start filming the ninth season of her hit reality show Project Runway. The supermodel sported bold, pink lipstick and a one-shouldered black dress for the first day of taping. Along with Heidi's fellow judges Michael Kors, Tim Gunn, and Nina Garcia, Kim Kardashian will appear on the Project Runway premiere. This year, the fashion competitors will go after a $100,000 prize, and the series will boast guest stars who, beyond Kim, are rumored to include Zoe Saldana, Christina Ricci, and Malin Akerman. Lifetime is already drumming up excitement for the latest round of competition, which debuts on July 28. Heidi goes topless in the latest Project Runway ads, wearing nothing but a pink tie!
Chanel hosted a dinner party that drew an eclectic crowd last night as part of the Tribeca Film Festival. Chloe Sevigny, Rose Byrne, and Naomi Watts were among the big-screen stars who attended the event at the Odeon restaurant in NYC, while Julia Restoin-Roitfeld, Zoe Kravitz, and Lauren Hutton were among the models. From the art world, both Jeff Koons and Julian Schnabel were on hand. The French fashion house dressed several of its guests, including Naomi, who brought her mother as her date for the evening out. Chanel has had a major presence at this year's festival, with Karl Lagerfeld premiering a series of Magnum ice cream ads starring one of his many muses, Rachel Bilson, last week. We spoke with the actress on the red carpet at the big debut. The trendsetter chatted with us about her upcoming TV series, Hart of Dixie, and also admitted to "geeking out" after Karl gifted her with one of his Chanel notepads during their short-film shoot.
- Joseph Altuzarra has paired with denim duo Current/Elliott for six denim styles, set to debut on his Fall 2011 runway — and Vogue has a preview (left) [Vogue.com]
- New Barneys fashion director Amanda Brooks was mum last night on the subject of her new position, saying that it was only her second day, but she has started Twittering for Barneys and says she plans to attend as many New York fashion shows as she can [Harper's Bazaar]
- Zac Posen is keeping his Z Spoke collection appointments very low key this season: "Last season was for the media. This one is for the customers and retailers" [@meenalmistry]
- Jason Wu is livestreaming his Feb. 11 show on Bergdorf Goodman's website, where some Fall items will be for sale as pre-orders on Feb. 16 [Christina Binkley]
- Marc Jacobs is forgoing a Fashion Week party, instead feting the 10th anniversary of Marc by Marc Jacobs with a Valentine's Day "semiformal" [@jimshi809]
- Peep Lauren Santo Domingo on the March 2011 cover of Town & Country, attended by the headline: "Meet the next Mrs. Astor" [@jimshi809]
- Bryanboy has done videos of his fashion escapades before, but this fashion week, he's doing a 24-hour livestream of himself for Kanon Organic Vodka, which promises to "give viewers a first hand look into what it’s like to rub elbows with fashion’s elite." He's got a video preview up on his site, and it goes live beginning at 9 am on Feb. 16 at kanonvodka.com [Bryanboy]
- There are also reports that Bryanboy is shooting a pilot during New York Fashion Week with the producers of America's Next Top Model that "Bravo is supposedly very interested in" [The Cut]
- Tumblr is putting 24 bloggers up in a hotel for New York Fashion Week, has secured invites for them to more than a dozen shows — including big shows like Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta — and set up events for them like breakfast with Nina Garcia, a private brunch at Lucky editor Brandon Holley's apartment, and a meeting with Oscar de la Renta prior to his show to talk his new collection [WSJ, The Cut]
- Abbey Lee Kershaw is reportedly skipping New York Fashion Week, for a "personal music project" in London with "my band" — Our Mountain, the band of Kershaw's boyfriend, Matthew Hutchinson, which she's performed with before. She is, however, set to head to Milan and Paris Fashion Weeks [Frockwriter]
- Alexander Wang cut his front row seats in half this season, thanks to a new seating configuration; he's also hosting an intimate party on Feb. 15 to mark his store's opening [@meenalmistry, @jimshi809]
Just like Hollywood produced a handful of celebrity pregnancies this year, so did the fashion world. Three Victoria's Secret models — Doutzen Kroes, Adriana Lima, and Miranda Kerr — were with child, as were Nina Garcia, Stella McCartney, Claudia Schiffer, and Rachel Zoe. A few of them have given birth already, while we're still waiting to meet the remaining fashion babies. Click through to see these ladies in all their pregnant fabulousness, then vote on your favorite pregnant fashionista of 2010 at the end.
We've rounded up 2010's top fashion headlines, including new designer collaborations like Chanel's Karl Lagerfeld for Macy's, Target collaborations with William Rast, Zac Posen, and Mulberry, and our favorite — Lanvin for H&M — as well as interviews with our favorite celebrity designers Alexa Chung, Jessica Simpson, and Kate Moss. We said goodbye to beloved designer Alexander McQueen and look forward to a few new fashionable faces in the New Year, including the offspring of Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr. Plus, we went bananas over the announcement of Rachel Zoe's pregnancy confirmation. Check out our favorite stories of the year here!
>> Print editors are starting to invest in online ventures — literally, like Nina Garcia, who recently sunk money into Fashism, and in the case of Lauren Santo Domingo, whose online trunk show venture was first reported in August.
Details of Santo Domingo's site have finally emerged: it's called Moda Operandi, or modaoperandi.com, and will launch during New York Fashion Week in February as members-only (although members can invite friends). The idea, which was conceived a year ago by founder Aslaug Magnusdottir, who used to head up merchandising for Gilt Noir, the private website for top spenders at Gilt Groupe, is to enable members to place orders from design houses in New York, London, Milan and Paris (including Thakoon, Proenza Schouler, Prabal Gurung, Narciso Rodriguez, Vera Wang, Alexander Wang, and Giambattista Valli) within 48 hours of their runway show.
Shoppers will put down a 50 percent deposit on their orders, which they will receive in roughly four months, versus the six month lag it usually takes for designer goods to hit retail. Clothes that don't fit can be returned.
For starters, Moda Operandi will be offering four women's collections a year — for Spring, Resort, Fall, and Pre-Fall — from about 50 designers, and in the downtime between collections, it will sell jewelry and accessories. There will also be editorial content like backstage interviews and stylist recommendations.
Nina Garcia Welcomes Second Son; Juergen Teller Shoots Anna Dello Russo's Perfume Ad; Plus, More Spring 2011 Campaign Rumors
- Anna Dello Russo now has a perfume ad, shot by Juergen Teller, to go along with her promotional video [ADR, ADR]
- Nina Garcia welcomed her second son over the weekend, she announced over Twitter: "Delighted to announce that over the wknd we welcomed 8lb13oz Alexander David Conrod into our home! Baby is doing great & Lucas [her oldest son] is thrilled!" [@ninagarcia]
- Stella McCartney also reportedly welcomed her fourth child just before Thanksgiving last week; she just relaunched her website, with behind-the-scenes photos and videos, as well [The Cut, Style File]
- 40 percent of Vogue Italia's readers come from the United States, but Anna Wintour calls Franca Sozzani "magnificent" [WashPo]
- Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott shot Laetitia Casta in London for the Spring 2011 Roberto Cavalli campaign [Laetita Casta]
- More Spring 2011 campaign rumors: Iselin Steiro is said to be the face of Lanvin; Gisele Bundchen of Isabel Marant (by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin); Raquel Zimmermann of Louis Vuitton (by Steven Meisel); and Givenchy's group is said to be Daphne Groeneveld, Iris Strubegger, Mariacarla Boscono, and Natasha Poly [HoM, HoM, TFS]
- Prada, which saw its profits triple in the last nine months, is now eyeing an initial public offering in 2011 rather than 2012 [WWD]