From Brad and Angelina to Patti Smith in India, designers at New York Fashion Week drew from a bevy of unique inspirations. Get the inside scoop on Rachel Zoe's '60s rock and roll collection, Michael Kors's brand of sporty American glam, Kate Spade's je ne sais quoi as styled by Brad Goreski, and more — just by pressing play!
For Fall 2012, designers set the gold standard with gorgeously gilded pieces perfect for any glamour girl. From Prabal Gurung's liquid-looking gown to Rachel Zoe's fur-topped minidress, this precious hue was popping up all over our favorite runways. Watch our full trend report to see all the ways you'll be going for gold come Fall!
True to the Rachel Zoe manifesto, her Fall '12 lineup delivered a unique mix of nostalgic and contemporary-cool pieces. Inspired by the rock 'n' roll glamour of 1960s London — think Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull — the collection boasted all the trademark elements of that oh-so-cool era. Knit minidresses, sequined gowns with updated twists, tailored menswear-inspired suits in jewel-toned velvets and tweeds, and an arsenal of must-have shaggy faux fur coats set the retro tone without ever seeming outdated. To top off these sweet rocker looks, the models also showed off something entirely new to the Zoe brand: chunky art-deco jewelry and cozy-chic Winter accessories. Translation? She's given us even more reason to accent our cold-weather attire with luxe snoods, statement collar necklaces, and bold fur cossacks. While the effortless feel of Rachel Zoe's collection may be rooted in old-school shapes and silhouettes, her execution proved that she's designing for a modern woman with a playful penchant for stylish throwbacks.
- Trends: Ultra-tailored menswear-inspired suits, sequins, oversized faux fur coats, flared pants, and rich textures like velvet and tweed.
- Colors: Jewel tones (emerald, fuchsia, ruby red), gilded embellishments, and stark whites.
- Key Piece: The artfully draped multihued print dress looked insanely cool styled up with a suede merlot messenger bag, luxe snood, and killer boots.
- Accessories: Plush fur head gear, long leather gloves, messenger bags, sequined scarves, super-slouchy knee-high boots, and art-deco jewelry.
- Who Would Wear It: For the retro-glam girl with an eye for clean silhouettes and fur toppers, like Mary-Kate Olsen, Kate Moss, and Sienna Miller.
>> "If you took Mick Jagger in the '60s and made him a woman, these things are what he'd be wearing — with a bit of Marianne Faithfull, Bianca Jagger and Jane Birkin thrown into the mix," Rachel Zoe said of the inspiration for her Fall 2012 collection. And so, out came the velvet brocade blazers, thigh-high suede boots, sequined minidresses, and long pile fur coats. Also in the mix were a few new silhouettes: pleat-front trousers, below-the-knee pencil skirts, and some super-wide palazzo pants. A little something for everyone, perhaps? "It's just for a girl or woman that loves fashion, that kind of is not trendy, but she's on trend, a woman that wants to enjoy life," Zoe explained.