Paris 10/01/09. Getty Images
The most exciting week of fashion is upon us. Don't get me wrong — New York Fashion Week always inspires, but Paris just seems . . . magical. WWD offered a behind-the-scenes look at some of the fashion houses last-minute musings. I can already tell Isabel Marant will make us swoon all over again with hot-pink tunics and fringed and studded boots. Everyone's talking about Peter Copping's first collection for Nina Ricci (showing tonight). And the brilliant Viktor & Rolf are gonna go all Texas Chainsaw Massacre on a too-perfect gown. Can't wait? Neither can I!
>> Rick Owens Isn't Concerned with Being Copied —Designers are having a Rick Owens moment, New York Times's Ruth La Ferla asserts today, from Rag & Bone to Ohne Titel. It makes sense, Karlo Steel, partner at Atelier boutique in New York: “We’re coming out of a period that was very flamboyant. Fashion’s pendulum is swinging away from that now in a direction that is a bit anti-material.” Owens, for his part, took little heed at the thought — “when something’s in the air, no one can really own it" — except to say: "Suffice to say that it’s motivation for me to do my best to move forward.” [NY Times]
Michelle Obama is a modern first lady with a keen fashion sense. But she's also a fun mom with candy colored times — and a "mouthwash" green Rick Owens jacket. Her Lavender Toy Watch ($195) proves she's lighthearted, and shall I say a bit sporty? Kinda makes me want to don a scrumptious colored watch when I'm riding waves and/or rollerskating. Fun for all!
Everyone, say well hello there to Chris Benz. He's the gorgeous face behind the namesake womenswear line known for its edgy, prepster designs. See, male models aren't the only hotties in the fashion scene; there are some hot designers out there too! Lucky for you, we found the cream of the crop, so all you have to do is sit back, relax, and soak in the manjoyment . . .
- Rick Owens: Le freak, c'est chic — Guardian UK
- Rick Owens: Le freak, c'est chic — Guardian UK Sunglasses are Anna Wintour's armor — Page Six
- Saks already selling Spring 2009 merchandise at 40 percent off; Barneys to follow suit next week — FWD
- LVMH Near a bug stake in Bono firm — WSJ
- Retailers play to the faithful: big spenders — LA Times
- Famous recessionistas: Michelle Obama, Cher, and the Lohans wear fashion reruns — NY Daily News
- Chanel creates wardrobe for Penelope Cruz's new film — Vogue UK
- Fashion's mad scientists — WSJ
- Uniqlo nabs Agyness Deyn for Summer ad — WWD
- IHT's Suzy Menkes awarded honorary doctorate — WWD
- Insider: Allie from The City! — Nylon
>> INSIDER WIRE —Late last month, a group of designers, including Narciso Rodriguez, Maria Cornejo, Jason Wu, and Thakoon Panichgul, took a trip to Washington, DC accompanied by CFDA executive director Steven Kolb to lobby for an anti-piracy bill to stop mass retailers from knocking off their ideas. But when Rick Owens was recently asked if he cares that his look is being rampantly copied, his reply? "No-oo. I guess it's a compliment." [Guardian]
Rick Owens opened his first flagship in London and has plans to open a store in Tokyo in September.
The Converse by John Varvatos women's line is being discontinued, although the footwear and men's lines will remain.