Leave it to Kate and Laura Mulleavy to not only draw a star-studded front row — hello, George Lucas, Natalie Portman, and Dakota Fanning — but to deliver a stellar, 1940s-inspired Fall '12 collection too.
Leave it to Kate and Laura Mulleavy to not only draw a star-studded front row — hello, George Lucas, Natalie Portman, and Dakota Fanning — but to deliver a stellar, 1940s-inspired Fall '12 collection too. One part cave-drawing-infused, one part retro femme, and one part Australian outback-reminiscent, Rodarte showcased a beautiful mix of totally girlie pieces with both red-carpet appeal and wearable ladylike style. The sister duo paid close attention to feminine details á la Peter Pan collars, artfully structured ruffles, and metal star appliqué hair combs. Yet, never ones to shy away from throwing some quirk into the picture, they added literal hand prints to long, flowy evening gowns and added cowboy buckles to double-strap leather belts. The biggest covet-worthy takeaway from today's show? After several seasons of collaborating with key shoe designers like Nicholas Kirkwood and Christian Louboutin, the Mulleavy sisters debuted their first-ever in-house shoe collection. We're calling it: Rodarte's two-tone pumps with heels made of plexiglass, sexy dominatrix-inspired spat heels, and lace-up boots will be Fall '12 It girl items. All in all, it's a gorgeous autumnal lineup, just begging to be worn.
- Trends: Cropped cable-knit sweaters, hand-print chiffon dresses, and 1940s-inspired silhouettes.
- Colors: Warm, earthy tones like rust and terracotta juxtaposed against cool neutrals.
- Key Piece: Super-cute chunky cable-knit sweaters paired with terracotta-hued trousers; diaphanous hand-print chiffon dresses.
- Accessories: Ladylike round-toe pumps with heels made of plexiglass or filled with sand, sexy lace-up gladiator-inspired spat heels. Look out for the subtleties in each heel design.
- Who Would Wear It: Front-row attendees Natalie Portman and Dakota Fanning are high up on the list, but we think a plethora of A-list talent will be clamoring to wear this collection. Don't be surprised to see Taylor Swift, Alexa Chung, Kirsten Dunst, and Elle Fanning flaunting Rodarte's wares, too.