At the 10th annual Hoodie Awards this weekend, Selita Ebanks demanded a double take, seamlessly blending two beauty looks that might otherwise seem incompatible. The model's wine-colored vampy lips screamed gothic glamour, but were perfectly balanced with her big, bombshell waves. Paired with a creamy whitish eye shadow and minimal eyeliner and mascara, Selita showed that you can wear two opposing beauty looks without going overboard. Want to nab this alluring look? Get lustrous, frizz-free waves with a finishing serum, like Bumble and Bumble Let It Shine on Finishing Spray ($26). Then, keep your eye makeup sparse, but opt for a glossy, dark burgundy hue; Urban Decay Lipstick in Gash ($22) is a deep red with just a touch of shine.
Model Liza Irizarry says she plans to sue Selita Ebanks for assault and battery, claiming the Victoria's Secret Angel punched her in the face and broke her nose outside a Miami nightclub last year.
Irizarry, who works for Telemundo, says she kissed Ebanks's boyfriend on the cheek in greeting when she saw him in front of the Dream club in Miami. She alleges that a drunken Ebanks did not react well to her salutation. "When she saw me, she said, 'Don't be kissing my man," Irizarry said in an interview. "That's when she hit me on the nose. I went to swing back; that's when all her friends jumped in. I felt hair-pulling and fists coming at me."
Irizarry says the nose injury required surgery days later. Her suit will seek damages covering pain, suffering, and medical costs.
Ebanks's lawyer, Paul Rothenberg, said the suit "is nine months old and completely without merit" and called Irizarry's claims "baseless."
The next time you find yourself in front of your mirror trying to get your updo just right, take a step back. Lately it seems as if polished ponytails aren't the only options for Summer. Tousled styles are taking center stage, too. Recently, Jennifer Lawrence (left), model Selita Ebanks (upper right), and Olivia Palermo (lower right) have all been spotted sporting this mussed-up look.
To re-create the style at home, the trick is to form lots of body as a base. Prime your hair with a texture-enhancing product, like Alterna Summer Ocean Waves texturizing spray ($20). Then, it's time to customize. Pull random sections of your hair away from your hairline and bobby-pin them at the back of your head. Whether you allow pieces to fall in your face is up to you. In the back, gather a portion of hair at the nape of your neck, and pull it into a loose, deconstructed ponytail. For an even more imperfect and dramatic look, tease pieces of your hair near the hair elastic, and you're done . . . or should we say undone.
Celebrate the beginning of Summer with an orange nail polish shade as bright as the sun. This month we've spotted the tangerine tone (which happens to be Pantone's Color of the Year), on celebrities like Selita Ebanks (left), Nelly Furtado (upper right), and Janina Gavankar (lower right). This bright hue will work with an equally colorful ensemble, or it can bring a bit of heat to a neutral frock. Even though each of these stars opted for a bright hue, pastel melon shades, pinky-peach shades, and flaming red-orange are also in season. Want to try this trend at home? Reach for Julep Nail Vernis in Natasha ($14) or Essie in Fear or Desire ($8). And once you master this color on your nails, you can move on to orange makeup on your eyes and lips.
>> Get caught up on all today's news in our daily roundup.
- Supermodel Selita Ebanks added the title "swimwear designer" to her resume this week when she debuted her new line of bathing suts on BET's Rip The Runway. Ebanks, famous for her stint as a Victoria's Secret Angel and a model for Ralph Lauren and Sports Illustrated, called her collection "very confident, sexy and independent." No word yet on whether a confident, sexy, and independent line of sportswear is in the works too. [Stylelist]
- Tom Ford has teamed up with the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network — otherwise known as GLSEN — to help create the next PSA for the organization's Think Before You Speak campaign. Ford, who dabbles in film when he's not designing luxurious clothing, has invited budding filmmakers to submit commercials for the campaign. The winner will be flown to Los Angeles for GLSEN's annual Respect Awards later this year, where the commercial will be screened. [The Cut]
- Vogue now has an official outpost in The Netherlands. The international edition debuted its first issue this week, with models Romee Strijd, Ymre Stiekema, and Josefien Rodermans posing for the Marc de Groot-shot cover. [The Fashion Spot]
Jay-Z hit the red carpet at the reopening of his 40/40 Club in NYC yesterday. He was all smiles for the event, which was his first since welcoming Blue Ivy Carter earlier this month. Jay-Z wrote a song for his daughter and released it just days after her birth, and new mom Beyoncé shared her excitement in a statement posted to her website saying, "we are in heaven." She didn't step out to support Jay-Z at last night's bash, but there were plenty of other famous faces, including Ashanti, Spike Lee, and even Warren Buffett, on hand to congratulate the new dad.
- Pair a tweed skirt with a mohair sweater for a cozy, textural Fall ensemble.
- Neon jewelry adds contrast and looks amazing with gray tones.
- Add a masculine touch to a slinky gray dress with a louche silk blazer.
New York Fashion Week is prime time for spotting amazing celebrity street style. On our radar today, Selita Ebanks fashioned up a bright, bold spin on ladylike. She opted for a pencil skirt in a hot pink hue, then topped it with on-trend, sheer polka dots and a Diane von Furstenberg fringe-trimmed vest. To complete the look, she chooses from DvF's accessories, including a lemony box clutch and loafer heels. Feeling inspired to test out Selita's punchy combo? Just click our editor's picks to shop the look.