Effortless was the message at Tibi's Fall 2012 collection, delivered through two major trends — minimalism and menswear. Cropped menswear suits, oversized wool coats, and structured crewneck tops over slouchy pants dominated the runway for a collection that was understated and utterly wearable. Even the palette was understated, with an emphasis on black and cream. There was no fussiness in this collection, and next season rest assured girls like Olivia Palermo will be wearing Tibi's can't-go-wrong separates.
Delivering pretty bird prints and slick metallics with polish and restraint, Tibi's Amy Smilovic offered an understated, menswear-inspired take on Fall '12. Complete with cropped trousers and boxy boyfriend coats, Smilovic zeroed in on a borrowed-from-the-boys style with womanly wearability. Proportions were done just right, as were the designer's bird prints that felt more sophisticated than playful paired with a cool crop of flat ankle boots and perfectly fit knits. Suiting too was worked with easy sophistication — even her emerald green, bright cobalt, and metallic suit separates spoke to a more modern, minimalist sense, tempered in slim silhouettes. Smilovic tempers her femme offerings with the same style — dresses are cut from the same creamy fabrics and finished with the same accessibility.
- Trends: Menswear, metallics, leather, peplum.
- Colors: Black, white, emerald green, cobalt blue, burgundy.
- Key Piece: The creamy white v-neck sheath; the metallic pencil skirts and slouchy knit sweaters.
- Accessories: Flat white and black zip-up ankle boots; heeled calf-hair ankle boots.
- Who Would Wear It: Girls with an eye for modern classics; Olivia Palermo and Kate Bosworth would rock the ankle boots and cropped pants.