This week, our top celebrity trendsetters really turned up the heat with unexpected color combinations, updated takes on classic looks, and dangerously chic accessories. Olivia Palermo's emerald-green and yellow pairing turned heads in London, Emma Stone brought major life to her red sleeveless mini with black and yellow Roger Vivier sandals in NYC, and Ashley Madekwe upped the glam factor in a black peplum top and lust-worthy accessories in LA. Other notables included Gwyneth Paltrow, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Kardashian, and Elizabeth Olsen. Take a break from your Friday tasks to get a closer look at our latest style winners and to draw inspiration for this weekend's celeb-approved ensemble.
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- "Are you kidding? If you have a social conscience, you have to vote Obama," declared Tom Ford at a fundraiser for the president's campaign in London, which he cohosted with Anna Wintour. [WWD]
- Tommy Hilfiger will partner with hotelier Vikram Chatwal when Chatwal acquires 30 percent of the historic Plaza Hotel in New York City, according to reports. Should Hilfiger ever have to deal with the hotel's business directly, it'll be an easy commute to the office: he and his wife Dee already live there. [Page Six]
- Calvin Klein tapped blogger Greta Larkins of FashGif to create moving images of the brand's Spring 2013 collection for its Tumblr. Our favorite so far is a black dress whose breast panels move up and down its shoulder straps. [Styleite]
- The apple never falls that far from the tree. Betsey Johnson's daughter Lulu is staring her own fashion line, called Lulu and Allison, for "women who still want to be hip, sexy, and cool." [Racked]
- For a fashion person, Erin Wasson doesn't shop much for garments. "I shop a lot more for furniture than I do for clothes," she says. "I much prefer going to an antique shop full of obscurities." [Elle.com]
Photo: President Obama and the first lady, wearing Tom Ford, at a dinner at Buckingham Palace in May 2011.
Gwyneth Paltrow slipped into a sexy white Tom Ford dress for a special event in London this evening. She was one of the famous faces, including her Emilia Wickstead-clad pal Cameron Diaz, Tom Ford himself and Anna Wintour, at the Obama Victory Fund dinner held at Mark's Club.
Gwyneth played cohost for the occasion, which came just one day after her pal Beyoncé Knowles held her own political function. Beyoncé and Jay-Z hosted a party at Jay-Z's 40/40 Club in support of President Obama's reelection campaign last night. Michelle Obama wasn't able to attend either event, but she is answering your questions on PopSugar in the coming weeks — make sure to submit your questions to the First Lady now!
Gwyneth Paltrow's latest is a testament to the fact that rules — like no white after Labor Day — were made to be broken, and that one seriously hot dress is all you need to outfit a head-turning look. With all the bold, heavily-accessorized looks that come with the street style at Fashion Week, we have to admit that it's a refreshing change to see Gwyneth sans add-ons, letting her sleek Tom Ford dress (and that famously fit figure) speak for itself while out for the Obama Victory Fund dinner in London. We know what you're thinking: I wish I could pull that off — and you can. Here's how.
- Your dress doesn't have to look exactly like Gwyneth's, just find a white version that flatters your figure best. If you want to show off your arms, then go for a sleeveless version, or show off your back with a surprise cutout.
- Keep it sleek with minimal add-ons. The reason why this look is such a showstopper is in large part because of its flawless fit, but also because there are no accessories to compete with it. Gwyneth reaches for a classic black clutch and pumps to complete the look, so the dress remains the focus.
- Body-shapers can be your very best friend. We're not all blessed with Gwyneth's flawless physique (or personal trainer) — and that's totally fine. Undergarments that are designed to sculpt can help disguise what we're less excited to show off. Investing in a great pair of sculpting shorts or Spanx can change the way you wear clothes.
She shone on the 2012 Oscars red carpet in a white Tom Ford gown, and now Gwyneth Paltrow is making yet another strong case for minimalistic white dresses. At an Obama fundraiser in London, the actress donned a Tom Ford white square-neck, long-sleeved, knee-length fitted dress with black pumps and a box clutch. Not that you need another example of how killer white can be, but let Gwyneth's latest choice inspire you to add an equally gorgeous white minimalistic dress to your mix. We recommend you choose one that's professional enough to wear with a blazer and pumps at work and sassy enough to sport with sexy sandals and baubles at night. To get started, shop the widget with our handpicked favorites below.
Kourtney Kardashian showcased her amazing postbaby body in a pleated floral-embroidered ivory shirtdress and snakeskin Christian Louboutin pumps in Miami. The pint-sized reality star accessorized her ladylike look with a black Chanel bag, oversize nude Tom Ford shades, and a no-fuss ponytail. We've seen a slew of starlets donning shirtdresses, from sleeveless to prints to embellished-collared numbers, so it looks like they're quickly becoming a hot Hollywood trend. Take a cue from Kourtney and style your long-sleeve shirtdress with snakeskin pumps for your next fancy brunch.
Kim Kardashian was spotted wearing all black in Miami, a city where color is celebrated. The reality star has been on a colorless fashion streak lately, and while we love brights, we quite appreciate Kim's fashion-forward looks. For her latest ensemble, Kim tucked a long-sleeve collared Acne blouse ($423) into a flared black leather skirt, then finished off with her favorite ankle-chain Tom Ford sandals and a black clutch. For those days when you're feeling colorless, mimic Kim by pairing a black blouse with a leather skirt and finishing off with these equally smashing BCBGMAXAZRIA chain sandals ($195).
As Summer winds down, warm-weather looks are limited, so this week's celebrity style standouts embraced the last of their minidresses and transitioned to Fall-friendly textures and darker hues. Our trendsetters this week were Kate Bosworth in a green Proenza Schouler tweed skirt, Olivia Palermo in an animal-print blouse and pleated Stylestalker shorts, Sarah Jessica Parker in a red printed Oscar de la Renta dress and polka-dot Manolo Blahnik pumps, and a few more including Miranda Kerr, Rachel Zoe, Emma Watson, and Kim Kardashian. Take a closer look at our fashionable picks, get inspiration for your weekend wardrobe, then shop their looks for yourself.
Taylor Swift wore not one but two fabulous outfits last night at the MTV VMAs! She started with an off-white J. Mendel suit and gold Tom Ford sandals, then later changed into a casual outfit during her performance. We love her red-carpet look as a fun alternative to a dress at a fancy party and her striped top and shorts ensemble for a laid-back but cute weekend look. Get a closer look at both outfits, then shop similar pieces for yourself.
If Taylor Swift reinforced one thing tonight, it's that the "no white after Labor Day" rule is a thing of the past. The singer stepped out in an ivory-colored J. Mendel pantsuit, complete with crisp white lapels — a total throwback to Bianca Jagger's iconic white pantsuit from the days of Studio 54. To offset her monochromatic, menswear-inspired look, she wore slick, metallic-gold Tom Ford sandals and her signature candy-apple-red lip. Is Taylor's tailored red-carpet ensemble a hit or a miss?