Red leather was one of the hottest looks we saw on the Fall 2012 runways, with designers like Tory Burch, Alexander Wang, and Tommy Hilfiger offering up everything from Peter Pan collared dresses to sleek gloves in this luxe and sexy color. While red leather may sound intimidating, it's actually looking sophisticated and totally wearable. Watch our trend report now to get the scoop on one of New York Fashion Week's biggest trends. On Allison: top, H&M.
Tommy Hilfiger set the mood for his collection this evening at the Park Avenue Armory creating an Autumnal park paradise complete with wooden benches, pretty Fall trees, The Beatles playing in the backdrop, and even gravel to sink our booties into. As expected, the designer showcased his classic American style, but this time, interjected a completely modern spin to his mix via silk cable-knit printed dresses, luxe leather riding pants, and plenty of Glen plaid suits to go around. The classic pea coat was treated with a brilliant patent finish and trench coats received a smart colorblock detail on the sleeves. There were also plenty of quilted pieces, suede shirtdresses, A-line skirts, and tailored hunting jackets emoted a regal equestrian feel. Hilfiger exemplified the perfect mix of old and new — and we're loving every bit of it.
- Trends: Plaid, patent leather, wrap skirts, military, quilting.
- Colors: Olive green, brown, burgundy, black, purple, mustard yellow.
- Key Piece: We loved Hilfiger's silk cable-knit printed dresses.
- Accessories: Knee-high boots, quilted messenger bags, pony hair bags, equestrian riding hats.
- Who Would Wear It: Girls who crave classic style with a twist like front row attendee Charlize Theron. We can also see Reese Witherspoon and Cate Blanchett in some of these pieces.
>> With the Park Avenue Armory decorated to look like an autumnal park and a Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack on full blast, Tommy Hilfiger sent out a smart collection of military and equestrian-tinged separates for Fall 2012. It was a strong offering, with a lot to like: slim-cuffed trousers, silk dresses printed with buckled harnesses or trompe l'oeil cable-knits, suede pinafores, and a boatload of gorgeous, shiny-buttoned pea coats. Click through to see the entire collection — and watch the video from the show below: