Love may be a universal language, but we're not sure that phrase includes the sci-fi alien races and fantastical creatures that rule the far depths of the galaxy, who express love in words beyond our human comprehension. When you're thinking of a unique way to woo your valentine this year, plan a tutorial to learn together one of these 14 geeky languages. While several of these Trekkie, Tolkien, or computer gaming-inspired languages have enough depth to warrant a university level class, many are not fully realized, so have fun discovering select words and phrases to bring to future geeky date outings.
- Wookie — Made up of three dialects, the main Wookie language is Shyriiwook. As you'd expect it consists of lots of barks and grunts, but don't you dare say that to Chewbacca. The Star Wars Christmas Special has detailed examples of this mystifying tongue.
- Klingon — The language of Klingons, the sometimes ally of the Federation, is arguably the best known of the imagined star languages. Described by its Hollywood creators as gutteral in tone, dedicated Trekkies maintain the Klingon Language Institue, preserving the galaxy's "fastest growing language."
- Vulcan — Known as the language of Spock, one version of Vulcan looks like musical notes. Much of the language is available online today as Gene Roddenberry was insistent when making Star Trek: The Motion Picture that the Vulcans receive their own linguistic treatment.
- Romulan — As biological cousins of the Vulcans, the Romulan language is difficult to differentiate from Vulcan to the untrained ear. The Central Institute of the Romulan Language ensures you get the right training to one day know the difference.
- Cardassian — Residents of the Alpha Quadrant, Cardassians are a fearsome foe of the Federation. Little is known of their language, maybe because of its rectangular-shaped letters and script.
- Andorian — The blue-skinned moon species from Andora appeared throughout the Star Trek series and would of course show up in the directory of a PADD.
- Elvish — With a background in linguistics study from Oxford, Tolkien did not take the creation of the Lord of the Rings languages lightly. Based on Welsh and English, you can study Liv Tyler's Arwen in the film trilogy for pronunciation and read the many online Elvish resources, including an English to Elvish dictionary.
- Dwarvish — Also called Khuzdul, Tolkien is said to have drawn inspiration for the secret language of the Dwarves from Hebrew, reflecting many of the same sounds and structure. As many Lord of the Rings languages, it's been almost fully realized and you can study up with the Dwarvish dictionary.
Check out even more languages to geek out over after the jump.
Ah, love. Whether it's found on board an intergalactic spaceship, while running from a zombie invasion, or amid a battle of good vs. evil, love can be discovered in any science-fiction scenario. We've pulled together a sampling of our favorite sci-fi character quotes on L-O-V-E in time for Valentine's Day.
Now, this list is in no way exhaustive: we want to hear what your favorite lines about love are, whether it's from one character to the object of their affection or an observation of this sweetest of feelings. Just anything about the emotion that humans and aliens alike search the galaxies for.
A thoughtful jewelry gift doesn't have to mean rare gemstones and hefty price tags. Step outside the, uhm, jewelry box and shower your sweetie pie with the geeky lifestyle treats they love so much. These rings combine romance with pop culture favorites like nostalgic video games and Doctor Who.
February has a reputation as a bit of a dreary month, what with the melting snow, short days, and seemingly endless Winter. Luckily, we have plenty of ideas for countering the gloom. From fun letterpress Valentine's Day cards to colorful hotel rooms and great new home decor pieces, see what catches your eye in this month's must haves.
Love the one you're with! Prebaby, Valentine's day might have meant a long, romantic candlelit dinner followed by an even longer, romantic, candlelit night. Once a lil one is on the scene, the holiday — like everything else in life — shifts its focus from couple to family. With your lil one dressed in one of these adorable heart-themed onesies, you won't miss your prebaby celebration for a moment!
Love is in the air! Some parents object to Valentine's Day on the grounds that it's a "Hallmark Holiday," an artificially manufactured creation in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Yet, no one wants their lil one to miss out on all the fun or feel left out at school. Stick to your anticommercial ethos while holding on to the joy of the holiday by shopping at Etsy and supporting individual artists. Keep reading for 10 sweet finds that will delight lil ones without giving parents an ethics crisis.
Love was in the air yesterday as stars celebrated Valentine's Day with sweet date nights, flowers, and festive attire. Camila Alves had her little ones wearing red, while Paris Hilton showed her spirit in a heart-emblazoned top. January Jones played the part of cupid, and Meg Ryan planted a sweet kiss on John Mellencamp. There's plenty of hot PDA to be seen in Hollywood, but the holiday brought out all kinds of love — click through to see all the cute pics!
Happy Valentine's Day! Consider this our gift to you: a mixture of sweet (and sometimes sappy) quizzes, slideshows, and quotes to help you get you in the spirit. XOXO, BuzzSugar
Kate Hudson stopped for a tray of Valentine's Day goodies in LA this morning. Her boyfriend, Matthew Bellamy, joined her for the trip after the duo stepped out together at yesterday's Grammy Awards. Matthew was one of the night's big winners with his band, Muse, and he thanked pregnant Kate during his acceptance speech. The couple apparently don't plan on finding out the gender of their baby, though they have discussed names for their future child.