>> Donatella Versace went tough and glam for Fall 2012, offering up a collection filled with Byzantine crosses, chain mail, burnout velvet, studded leather — and plenty of "dark seduction". Silhouettes were short and body-con, fabrics decadent and fiercely embellished, and — adding to the rebellious mood — models wore supersevere mini bangs, à la Rooney Mara.
The Versace Fall 2012 collection was all about the Rooney Mara goth chick-meets-Joan of Arc goddess hero, right down to the bluntly cut bangs and barely-there eyebrows. But this no-nonsense kind of girl certainly knows how to dress up. The dark palette and edgy shapes were inspired by brother Gianni's final collection, "an era," Donatella said she finally had "the courage to go back to." The result? Strong dress silhouettes — some in tough leather, some in chain-mesh satin, for example — were highlighted by Byzantine cross embroidery, a slick metallic sheen, and corseted bodices that closely resembled metal armor. But not to fear, the signature Versace hourglass figure remained intact, thanks to artful peplum details and silver accents that strategically emphasized the waistline. To illustrate our point, just look to one jaw-dropping chain-linked silver disc gown for bombshell confirmation. We think this standout number proves a worthy candidate for rush delivery to the Oscars red carpet. To polish off the Fall '12 lineup with a saucy minx undertone, Donatella sent models out wearing fishnet mesh boots, fishnet gloves, and holding cross-embroidered clutches. See below for more Versace details.
- Trends: Byzantine cross embroidery, chain mesh detail, ultra-shiny finishes, and corseted bodices.
- Colors: Black, metallic silver, neon yellow, orange, and pops of red.
- Key Piece: The full-on chain mail and chain mesh-infused gowns screamed "red carpet."
- Accessories: Cross-embroidered clutches, fishnet boots, and fishnet gloves.
- Who Would Wear It: Ladies who can own a strong, edgy shape, like Rooney Mara, Kate Beckinsale, and Diane Kruger.