Vera Wang will be honored with the Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2013 CFDA Awards on June 3. This shouldn't come as a surprise, considering the designer's name is synonymous with "dream wedding dress." Plus, this isn't even her first time receiving a CFDA Award. She was also named Womenswear Designer of the Year in 2005. While Wang has expanded her empire to include everything from ready-to-wear and fragrance to china and crystal, and has collaborated with Kohl's, David's Bridal, and Zale Corporation, her stronghold on the bridal industry is unparalleled.
Due to her consistently beautiful take on intricate detailing and refreshing approach to design, Wang has dressed many high-profile brides for their big day. In honor of her upcoming CFDA Achievement Award, here's a look at some of the designer's most notable celebrity wedding dresses.
The bridal trends for Spring 2014 leave room to try something a bit different. While gorgeous white gowns and traditional strapless silhouettes certainly made their customary appearance, it wasn't all run of the mill. Vera Wang surprised with black-and-white looks, finished with dramatic black opera-length gloves. Oscar de la Renta dipped into the color wheel for a true "something blue," Reem Acra turned out cocktail minis topped with veiled umbrellas, and Carolina Herrera debuted a sexier kind of wedding-day ensemble (think deep V-front necklines). For inspiration aplenty — and a closer look at what exactly the Spring '14 bridal forecast means for your own wedding-dress search — click on.
Bridal Trend Breakdown:
Bridal Fashion Week Spring 2014 showed off another season of stunning aisle-worthy confections, all thanks to Vera Wang, Reem Acra, Monique Lhuillier . . . and the list goes on. With each runway presentation came another "here comes the bride" moment, of which inspired countless oohs and aahs in response. From traditionally modest cuts adorned with vintage lace veils to princess-like ball skirts with corsage-embellished bodices to skin-revealing back details on even slinkier floor-length silhouettes, to tulle-infused fishtail hems and decadent embroidery, every bride will find The One in this lineup. Click on to see the latest wedding-dress fare — with Marchesa, Oscar de la Renta, THEIA, and Temperley Bridal also inside — right this way.
If you have visions of sand-and-surf nuptials but haven't quite found the right dress, then look no further. Inside we've culled 20 of the best wedding gowns, all perfectly suited for a beach wedding. The trick is finding a gown that feels as breezy and beautiful as your surroundings — and we've done just that. Zeroing in on all bridal styles from the classic to the romantic, we've made it our mission to find the fits that were made for saying "I do" at the beach. Click on to find the style that suits you best, no matter where your beachy nuptial may be.
— Additional reporting by Chi Diem Chau
Vera Wang's name is synonymous with "wedding dresses," and for her latest Spring '14 bridal collection, the designer didn't short on the drama. Inspired by architecture, Wang concocted a collection filled with texture, volume, and modern nuances. While we're used to seeing all-white bridal gowns, the designer pushed the envelope with strong elements of black — via lace bodices, tulle overlays, and even luxurious leather gloves — juxtaposed against creamy ivory hues and traditional wedding dress silhouettes. Suffice to say, this lineup was not made for the classic bride, but rather the cutting-edge, boundary-pushing type. See every detail from the collection in the slideshow and tell us which dress you'd like to walk down the aisle in.
Whether you're the bride-to-be, wedding guest, or bridesmaid, Gilt's newly launched wedding boutique pretty much has you covered in every style category. The bridal destination currently houses a glamorous array of designer gowns and accessories — from the likes Marchesa, Reem Acra, and Badgley Mischka, to name a few — marked up to 75 percent off. Meanwhile, the wedding party is supplied with chic dressing options for women and men, and for the guests, there's a ton of pretty pieces to choose from too. With prices this ridiculously discounted, sizes are limited, so we suggest you act fast. Click on for our top picks from Gilt's wedding event, and then get shopping!
The much-anticipated season six premiere of Mad Men airs Sunday, and we can't wait to see what's in store for the gang at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce and beyond. Ever since Don Draper proposed to Megan in the season four finale, we've been hoping for a Mad Men wedding. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see Don and Megan's nuptials, but we're still going to dream of a '60s-era wedding that takes its cues from the TV show. If you're as big of a fan as we are, check out these swingin' ways to incorporate Mad Men into your big day.
Buying a wedding dress that someone has only worn once will help you save plenty of bucks, and although it sounds like a great deal, you need to be aware that there are some risks involved. To reduce the chances of a purchase gone wrong, make sure you ask the seller these questions before whipping out your credit card.
- Dress Care: Ask the seller what her method of cleaning and preservation is. It’s better if she took it to a professional cleaner who specializes in wedding dresses to lower the risks of “invisible stains” that may show up when you take the dress to the cleaners. You can also ask whether the wedding was held (outdoors or on a beach) so you’ll have a better idea of the condition of the dress was put through. Reader suggested asking if the dress was kept in a smoke-free environment. It might be a good idea to ask if the dress was kept in a house with pets.
- Legitimacy: Make sure you trust the seller before you make a purchase — you don’t want to be swindled. Ask for personal references if you feel that you need it or talk to the admin of the site if you're suspicious.
- The Measurements: You and the seller might be using different measurement systems, so it’s very important to ask for the specific measurements instead of just the sizes. The bride may also have altered the dress, so you need to know what the measurements are post alternations.
- Location and Return Policy: Where is the dress being shipped from and is delivery costs included? Will the seller pay for the mailing fee if you want to return the dress? There are very important things to consider when you’re buying a dress off the Internet.
- The History: Find out when the wedding was to have a better gauge on the condition the dress is in. If it’s important to you to find out the story behind the dress, you might want to consider asking if the wedding led to a fairy-tale marriage or an unhappy divorce. If you’re the superstitious kind, you might want check with the seller about that.
For more tips, read after the jump.
If you're wedding planning (or merely perusing), then J.Crew's newly debuted Spring wedding dress collection is sure to impress even the most discerning of brides. With a focus on diaphanous textures and simple silhouettes, the brand supplied us with a beautiful bevy of gowns, highlighting chic column cuts, rosette-embellished sheath dresses, bohemian halter gowns, and a Swiss-dot princess confection for the most feminine kind of girl. Take a look at our top three picks below, then click the slideshow to see the rest of the collection. Which dress is your favorite?
- This rosette-embellished sheath dress was made for the bride who wants to take the nontraditional route. We're in love with the textural floral detailing and semi-sheer bodice.
- Equal parts chic and whimsical, this Swiss-dot princess gown is simply magical.
- This Grecian-inspired halterneck gown is perfect for the bohemian beach wedding — how cool is that halter neck rope detailing?