Kirsten Dunst brought her quirky playfulness and girlish charm to the Spring Boy collection from Band of Outsiders. Most collection lookbooks or campaigns are shot months in advance; this one was shot last week at Huntington Botanical Gardens in Pasadena, CA. Boy's offbeat prepster clothes suit Kirsten perfectly; we particularly love the outfit she sports for teatime with an elephant. Intrigued? Do click on.
Freja Beha Erichsen Cast in Both Louis Vuitton and Chanel Spring 2011 Campaigns; Fashion Design Copyright Act Headed to Senate
- Freja Beha Erichsen isn't just a Chanel face for Spring 2011 — she reportedly also posed for Louis Vuitton's Spring 2011 campaign, shot by Steven Meisel, alongside Raquel Zimmermann, and Kristen McMenamy [WWD]
- The Innovative Design Protection and Piracy Prevention Act, which aims to copyright fashion designs, was passed unanimously by the Senate Judiciary Committee and is headed for full Senate deliberation [WWD]
- Proenza Schouler's mochila totes ($225) and wallets ($145) are now available on their website [Teen Vogue]
- Missed the Alexa Chung for Madewell illustrated bat tee the first time around? It's back for sale online tomorrow, except this time, in tunic form ($58) [People StyleWatch]
- Casting director and Tales of Endearment blogger Natalie Joos sounds like she has a television project in the works: "More on that soon" [Fashionista]
- The sell-out J Brand Houlihan cargo pant was inspired by a vintage pair of army pants the brand's design director found in Japan [BoF]
- Roland Mouret sunglasses are on the horizon — they're one of the exclusive products he'll test at his first store in London's Mayfair, opening in February [WWD]
- Jewelry designers Ruby Kobo just launched their website, but won't do e-commerce — they prefer private appointments. They also hope to do a runway collaboration with Phillip Lim, Band of Outsiders, or Phoebe Philo [Fashionista]
- A street artist applied a cartoon Karl Lagerfeld decal to a New York taxi [Refinery29]
- The iPad inspiring print advertising: Vogue Russia's December 2010 issue has a video advertisement inside [Gawker]
Where Will Karl Lagerfeld, Naomi Campbell, Alexander Wang, and More Be For Fashion's Night Out 2010?
>> Fashion's Night Out is back with even more bang in its second year: in addition to a CBS special documenting the occasion, the official directory for the event — scheduled Sept. 10, from 6-11 pm —boasts almost 1,000 events, including a public fashion show for the first time ever. Check out some of the highlights, below.
1. Karl Lagerfeld Will Be In Town
He's hosting a Chanel dinner the night before Fashion's Night Out, and accepting a Fashion Visionary Award (from the Couture Council of The Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology) at a luncheon the day of, so he's definitely in New York for the occasion. Word is he'll be at Chanel's Soho store — where they're also offering complimentary manicures and selling the forthcoming Les Khakis de Chanel nail polish collection for one night. Alternatively, the 57th Street Chanel boutique is offering visitors the option to color-customize their very own pair of iconic Chanel ballet flats.
>> Scott Sternberg Debuting Lower-Priced Women's Line in September —Prices for Scott Sternberg's coveted menswear-inspired women's line, Boy., currently hover in the range of $135 for a tee to $1,750 for a boyfriend blazer. In March, Sternberg told the Wall Street Journal he was working on a second women's line, girl., which would be less expensive and with a more feminine bent. It sounds like girl. will be shown during New York Fashion Week — The Business of Fashion reports that the line will make its debut in September. [BOF]
Scott Sternberg left his job as a Hollywood talent agent to start Band of Outsiders seven years ago, and in 2007 launched Boy., his menswear-inspired women's collection. The 35-year-old LA-based designer has no plans to stop growing — he aims to increase his business from $12 million to $40 million over the next few years through expanding Boy. (from two collections per year to four) and launching girl., a lower-priced, more feminine line.
Despite his fast rise through the fashion ranks (in 2009 he tied with Calvin Klein's Italo Zucchelli for the CFDA menswear designer of the year award), Sternberg is happy to skip out on New York's fashion scene in favor of living in Los Angeles, where he keeps out of the fray:
"If I was here in New York in this mix influenced by the same thing all these people are influenced by, the edge would be gone," he told the WSJ. "This [LA] bubble is vital to being able to do something that is not informed by fashion."
See the fall 2010 Band of Outsiders/Boy. collection images here.
Lady Gaga and Cyndi Lauper become spokeswomen for the MAC AIDS fund, celebrate at Lucky Chang's in Manhattan.
Marc Jacobs filed a copyright infringement complaint against Ed Hardy's quilted tote with stitched block print, which bears resemblance to a Marc by Marc Jacobs bag—save for the Ed Hardy tattoo-print fish splashed on the side.
Tom Ford on what separates his fashion imagery from his directorial debut: "My fashion career has been very much about full frontal male and female nudity and sex. For me, A Single Man is about love and romance, and had there been a need for that kind of nudity, then sure - but there wasn't."
Oscar de la Renta might be working on a beauty deal to expand his brand into skin care and color cosmetics.
Leslie Mann appears in Scott Sternberg's spring 2010 look book as "cougar with two younger dudes."
Optimism continues to grow with luxury retail executives, as the focus turns towards luring back aspirational shoppers.
Scott Sternberg's Spring 2010 Polaroid Lookbook Captures Leslie Mann as a "Cougar with Two Younger Dudes"
>> Scott Sternberg definitely has a thing for Polaroid — every season, he has a different actress (Michelle Williams, Marisa Tomei) don his clothes and tell a story through a series of faded photos. Even his show invite this season depicts all of the necessary who, where, when information via a Polaroid picture.
For his Spring 2010 lookbook, he tells Style.com, “I thought it would be kind of hilarious to pair a cougar with two younger dudes and see what kind of story would come out of it.” Thus, you have Leslie Mann gallivanting on a boat in Marina del Rey, California with Dave Franco (James's little brother) and Community's Donald Glover.