We all know the importance of a good statement necklace: they instantly perk up any outfit and can be used to breathe life into the most simple ensembles. The Fall 2012 runways showed decadent oversize statement necklaces that we've been itching to get our hands on. So we've rounded up our six favorites on the market right now, and we hope you like them too! On Allison McNamara: Topshop dress.
Loafers are always a hot trend for Fall, and this season's iteration comes in the form of the sophisticated smoking slipper. Our FabSugar editors are especially loving these Charlotte Olympia embroidered suede slippers and Giuseppe Zanotti tasseled loafers, both of which are available at Neiman Marcus. Stars like Alexa Chung and Beyoncé Knowles love them too — and who better to take style cues from? Both pairs evoke the vintage glamour of a men's loafer and make for a great heel alternative. Get more details on these chic shoes when you watch our PopSugar Shop video now!
Fall's military trend isn't unlike the actual military; it's an age-old tradition, expertly skilled, and ready for anything. From season to season, the utilitarian look can take on many forms — and between sharp, structured silhouettes, elaborate embellishments, and classic camouflage touches, designers definitely brought out the big guns for Fall 2012. The overall aesthetic was punctuated by crisp coats and capes with fitted trousers along with traditional military touches like epaulets, strong shoulders, and knee-high boots — all in a dark, moody color palette of khakis, blacks, and grays.
So, are you ready for battle? Click through for some runway-inspired examples of the military trend, then shop some pieces for your arsenal.
Tweed is always in! As soon as temperatures start to drop, coats start coming out of the closet — and the one trend that never seems to skip coat season is tweed. The woolly woven fabric is a Fall favorite among trendsetters, so why not jump aboard the tweed trend this season with a ladylike and sophisticated tweed coat for mama's mini fashionista?
- Simple: This Marled Tweed Coats for Baby ($30) features a wide shawl collar and three oversize button closures — the perfect dress coat alternative for those seeking the sophisticated look of tweed.
- Swank: This sweet Neon Tweed Jacket ($58) is perfect for the holidays! The double-button placket and flapped-welt pockets at front give this wee coat a grown-up look.
Which do you prefer?
Somewhere over the rainbow expectant mamas are rejoicing! The colored denim trend is still going strong, and now moms-to-be can get in on it! Jeans are covering the entire spectrum this season and with brighter colors taking center stage. Even Rachel Zoe recently tweeted, "Don't be afraid to rock bright pants this season — they are way fun." If there's anyone to trust about seasonal trends, it's Rachel. Check out our roundup of colorful pants that are sure to add some cheer to any maternity wardrobe.
From the left: ASOS Maternity Exclusive Red Skinny Jean ($62), TopShop Maternity MOTO Leigh Supersoft Skinny Jeans ($76), TopShop Maternity MOTO Leigh Supersoft Skinny Jeans ($76), ASOS Maternity Bright Blue Skinny Jeans ($62), A Pea in the Pod AG Jeans Stilt Secret Fit Belly Twill Signature Pocket Slim Leg Maternity Pants ($185)
Among all the polished looks we saw on the Fall runways, one of our favorite major trends was '60s-era elegance; subtle yet chic, it has proven to be a lasting look for the season. Whether you go for a Mad Men-esque, sexy secretary look, or want to channel the vibrant party girl pizzazz of Twiggy and Edie Sedgwick, it's an easy vibe to emanate. For the ultimate in go-go girl glamour, just check out Karlie Kloss for Vogue Japan — a short, sexy silhouette, bold patterns, and a wide-brimmed hat are easy ways to achieve this look. Here are our key takeaways:
- Just because it's Fall, doesn't mean you need to shy away from color. Tuck a plain white blouse into a pink and orange tweed skirt, or liven up a black dress with a pair of bright red Mary Janes.
- It's all about the silhouette: work a knee-length pencil skirt or ankle-grazing trouser for the office, and show some skin come nightfall in a short, sexy shift dress.
- Don't go overboard; you don't want to look like you're wearing a costume. Pick one retro-feeling piece, and work it into your otherwise modern ensemble. A pussy-bow blouse looks floaty and chic with a pair of high-waisted jeans, and you can never go wrong with a simple A-line coat and skinnies.
Click through to see our complete breakdown of the retro trend and shop essential pieces now.
Dark, moody romanticism was explored on many a Fall runway — from the head-to-toe jet-black looks at Lanvin and Rick Owens, to the mercurial floaty chiffon pieces at Roberto Cavalli, we're feeling this slightly fatalistic trend. You can also glean some goth-glam inspiration from Katia Selinger in this spread for L'Officiel Brazil's September 2011 issue, swathed in sultry black chiffon, elbow-length leather gloves, and severe hair and makeup. It's quite clear that Fall's glamour girl is one of mystery, subtle seduction, and quiet confidence.
Here's how to get the look:
- Focus on fabrics. Materials like velvet, lace, silk, leather, and chiffon play nicely to the moody, romantic Fall feel.
- Layer up for ultimate luxe. Part of the allure of the gothic romance look is the effortless, devil-may-care attitude with which layers are worn. Pair a maxi skirt with an ultra long, slouchy knit sweater, followed by a blazer or fur vest.
- Romanticism isn't about showing it all off; balance your look with a high neckline for the ultimate in gothic glamour.
Click through to see our complete breakdown of the gothic romance trend, then shop essential pieces now.
Investment pieces are called investment pieces for a reason — they might be pricey, but you'll wear them over and over again! Of course, you don't have to shell out more than $100 on an investment piece if you shop in the right places. Luckily for you, I've got a list of nine fab investment pieces all for under $100!
Your Fall Investment Shopping List:
- A chic blazer is always a good buy! I especially love this T by Alexander Wang Cutout cotton-jersey blazer ($180.00$72.00) because it has a unique cutout detail in the back that will always make it look fresh and unique!
- A holiday party dress will be in order once those Thanksgiving and Christmas festivities begin. I specifically love this Mikael Aghal Lamé bubble dress ($325.00$81.25) for its festive coloring and shiny detailing.
- A sweater will keep you warm and toasty during those cooler days. You'll want a good sweat to last you year after year, and this J.Crew Fisherman cable-knit sweater ($98.00) is so basic no one will notice you've had it forever!
See the rest of her must haves here!
Fall is fast approaching — and with it comes a boatload of new styles and items that we know you won't be able to live without. We've covered everything from the most wearable runway trends to our personal must-have Fall pieces — and now we're rounding it up in one jam-packed place for you to enjoy. Click through to get caught up on all of our Fall trend and shopping coverage now!