The weather may be drab, but that is no excuse to stash your colorful duds in the back of your closet. Take a cue from Zoe Saldana, who injected a pop of Spring into her Winter look while out and about in LA. She started off with distressed denim and suede western booties, then wrapped a vibrant scarf over her eggplant sweater. Gradient shades and a two-tone Loewe bag rounded up her strolling style. Try a striking bag, sweater, or accessory to instantly brighten up your Winter wardrobe.
Pippa Middleton was back to work after the Christmas holiday donning a bright Zara coat and Febronie fedora. To pull together her textured neutrals, dark skinnies, and tan suede boots, we chose a leopard button-up blouse and two-tone handbag — similar to the Loewe one she is carrying. Shop here to snag similar items.
Pippa Middleton layered up in a monochromatic ensemble while out in London. The Brit beauty shielded herself from the Winter winds in a gray shawl collar sweater, matching moto jeans, and a neutral faux fur vest. Fair isle mittens kept her hands warm while she toted a delicious coffee and two-tone Loewe bag. Throw on a pair of shearling-lined chukkas to complete your Pippa-inspired look.
>> This season, the quintessential "girl" color gets a much-needed update. Spotted on the Spring 2011 runways of everyone from Costume National to Valentino — and in every shade from barely-there pastels to super-bright magenta — pink is definitely the hue of the season. But don't expect to find the bubble gum pop and saccharine sweetness of Summers past — this season's take is unexpectedly edgy and all grown up. Look for pieces with modern, pared-down silhouettes and surprising details: accessories in unpredictable materials; dresses in clean, breezy shapes; and jewelry that walks the line between delicate and tough. Click through to shop our top picks from Cacharel, Prada, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Matthew Williamson and more in the slideshow.
The Tom Ford Influence—Alberta Ferretti Employs Real Women as Models for Pitti Show; Erin Wasson Has a New Design Collaboration
- Alberta Ferretti took a page out of Tom Ford's book and had the likes of Camilla Belle, Carmen Dell'Orefice, Poppy Delevigne, Paz de la Huerta, and Marisa Berenson walk in place of models as part of her Florentine show to open Pitti Immagine Uomo last night, for which she created an exclusive 30-piece collection [Style.com, Fashionista]
- The Costume Institute received a donation of $10 million from Jonathan and Lizzie Tisch to create a new gallery space; although this gift was the "tipping point" to start construction next year, fundraising for the project started several years ago and has been helped in large part by Anna Wintour and the Costume Institute Gala benefit [NY Times]
- Gucci Group parent company PPR just created a new business unit dedicated to developing online retail. CEO François-Henri Pinault called e-commerce a "strategic priority," adding: “My goal [is] to increase our digital presence and accelerate our growth in online sales, which should reach 10 percent of Gucci Group and Puma’s consolidated revenues over the next few years” [WWD]
- Bibhu Mohapatra, Pamela Love, Mandy Coon, The Lake & Stars, M. Patmos, and Study NY were all awarded $25,000 Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation grants to put toward their upcoming New York Fashion Week shows [WWD]
- Erin Wasson is designing a capsule collection for Zadig & Voltaire [ElleUK]
- W's February 2011 cover features a first look at sweet-looking Rooney Mara's transformation into punky Lisbeth Salander for David Fincher's upcoming The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo film [W]
- Instead of pouting across the board as in seasons past, models have notably been captured smiling in both the Valentino and Chloe Spring 2011 ad campaigns [Garance Dore]
- Jessica Stam's left arm is in a sling after she sprained and fractured it while snowboarding in Montana over the holidays [Modelinia]
- Using the same technology that made the Death Star explode in Star Wars, Loewe blows up its Amazona bag over and over in a new brand video [Style File]
See Crystal Renn for DSquared2, Leighton Meester for Missoni, Sarah Burton's First Alexander McQueen Ad, Plus More
>> Crystal Renn is following up her Chanel and Jean Paul Gaultier campaigns last season with another campaign one-two punch for Spring 2011: Jimmy Choo and the newly-released DSquared2 set, in which she is joined by Anna Maria Jagodzinska, Sun Fei Fei, Hailey Clauson, and Monika Sawicka. Put that together with the new Missoni Spring 2011 ads, which feature the Missoni family along with Leighton Meester and social personalities like Tatiano Santo Domingo and Camilla Al Fayed, Freja Beha Erichsen's Valentino ads, a first look at Mariacarla Boscono for Loewe, and Sarah Burton's first Alexander McQueen campaign featuring Lindsey Wixson, and you've got the sum whole of the latest Spring 2011 ad campaigns.
>> Loewe Trying to Break Into US Market After 10 Years' Absence—When Stuart Vevers joined Loewe in 2007, he was known for creating it bags at Mulberry. At Loewe, however, he wanted to do simple, classic bags — a concept that he says the brand's executives initially struggled to grasp: "I think there was some confusion as I was explaining that it was time to move on." Now, however, Loewe chief executive Lisa Montague says she "strongly believes in Stuart's ability and his sensitivity to understand the evolution of the market." Pared-down bags are certainly in demand at the moment, and now Loewe — which wasn't sold in US stores for at least 10 years, is trying to reestablish a presence. Since the brand lacks a big ad budget, the strategy has been to place bags in the hands of the likes of Angelina Jolie. So far, three US stores are signed up to sell Loewe: Bergdorf Goodman, Jeffrey, and Hirshleifer's on New York's Long Island. [WSJ]
Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley — we're so used to seeing them in next to nada. Well, now we better start getting used to seeing them fully clothed because they're majorly into high fashion. For Loewe's Fall '10 ad campaign, the stunning trio tones it down in trench coats, turtlenecks, knee-length skirts, and sweaters. That way, you're less inclined to stare at their bodies and able to focus on the handbags. Here is Alessandra Ambrosio looking more sophisticated than ever. Click through to see the rest of the toned-down hotties.
>> Alessandra Ambrosio and Adriana Lima for Loewe Fall 2010 Campaign? Plus, A Couple of New Faces for Miu Miu —Both Loewe and Miu Miu are reportedly going with multi-girl casts for their Fall 2010 campaigns: the former is said to have scored at least two Victoria's Secret faces — Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio — and the latter will feature Ginta Lapina and Daphne Groenveld shot by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott — in addition to a rumored, but unnamed, additional model or two. [@AngelAlessandra, TFS, TFS, TFUC, TFS]
When I think of Spring, I imagine exotic locales and tropical rain forests. Loewe knows what I mean. For its Spring '10 campaign, the Spanish brand enlisted Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin to create a tropical dream featuring Fab face Daria Werbowy — not a surprising choice, since both photographers love the Ukrainian beauty. The juxtaposition between the earthy backdrop and Daria's sophisticated aura is perfect. I love how the bright orange elements pop and call attention to Loewe's decadent structured handbag. Daria can do no wrong in my eyes; what are your thoughts?