Blazers aren't anything new or groundbreaking, but sometimes we need a refresher. That being said, today's fashion tip is super easy to execute: don't deny the power of the blazer. Listen up: The key to finding the perfect blazer is all about fit. Depending on how you like to layer, we suggest you find a silhouette that's cut close to your body, making sure the shoulder, arms, and chest areas sit closely to your figure. Now comes the fun part — styling! As seen below, blazers can instantly dress up more casual accompaniments, like denim, or easily take your dressier counterparts to the next level, as displayed by Vogue Australia's Christine Centenera, pictured center. Up your styling ante this Spring, and try a bold-colored blazer or one with a sleek metallic finish, or embrace a bright white option for an instantly chic update. We've supplied the outfit inspiration below, so it's up to you to put your blazer to work.
The easiest way to perk up your look? Today's fashion tip is incredibly easy: put a cap on it. We first started seeing sporty hats last year, and from the looks of these polished street stylers below, the trend is still going strong. Not only will this trend add a tomboy tilt to any look, it's the perfect remedy for bad Winter hair days. Try pairing a sleek leather rendition with a floral or printed dress for a fun play on ladylike-meets-sporty, or style a bright baseball cap with boyfriend jeans, a slouched tee, and oxfords for an effortless, off-duty look. Any way you spin it, it's a no-brainer in our style books. Shop our editors' picks below to add an instant pop of cool to your cold-weather getup now.
In our mission to stave off wardrobe boredom, we're bringing you another edition of the one-minute makeover — and today, it's all about adding luxe with a fur (or faux-fur) collar. Maybe the truest testament to its styling power is in the street-style shots below, just a few of our community members who've proven that this textured little add-on could be your outfit's new best friend. The tricks to making it work (and they're easier than you think) are all below. Read on to refresh your style in 60 seconds or less:
- Don't think of the furry collar as a statement piece that you reserve for special occasions. The beauty of this piece is that it goes with everything. Add it to your casual outfits for a bit of textural intrigue, and further the glamorous feel of a cocktail dress with one for a night out.
- Swap your everyday scarf for a fur snood. It won't just keep you warmer than your average Winter accessories; it's a simple switch that'll also up the ante on your most basic styles, like jeans and an anorak.
- It can be easy to get carried away with the luxe look of fur and faux-fur pieces, but add it sparingly to your look. Piling on a furry collar with a fur coat or vest is going to add a lot of bulk to your figure and look more like a costume than a chic wintertime ensemble. This piece will look best when you use it to juxtapose other textures, like leather, classic wool coats, sequins, and cozy knits.
Today's quick tip is sure to add a vibrant touch to your Winter wardrobe in no time at all. The cold weather can put a downer on your dressing savvy, but we're curing your blues with mini style makeovers. Think of it as an easy outfit pick-me-up. Just take cues from the style setters below and top it off with a bright coat. We know it's more of a statement investment piece, but we're here to tell you exactly why you need one. Leave your fashion hang-ups behind — read below for our no-fail shopping and styling tips now.
- Choose the right color. We suggest you stay within the classic color palette and choose bright basics like blue, red, green, and yellow. That way, you can wear your coat season after season without worrying about fading trends. Also make sure the color you choose complements your skin tone and hair color.
- Instead of trying to overstyle your outfit, let your coat take the spotlight. We love the idea of pairing slouchy jeans with pumps, a turtleneck, and a bright red coat for an easy yet stunning off-duty look. If you're looking for office-appropriate inspiration, just top off your go-to gray sheath dress or trousers with any bright coat for a statement daytime ensemble.
- Last but not least, make sure it fits. Nothing is worse than wearing an ill-fitting coat — now can you imagine yourself wearing a bright ill-fitting coat? Right. When shopping for your colorful coat, make sure the fit is tailored to your body, but still allows room for a few layers underneath.
We're putting an end to ever having to utter the phrase "I have nothing to wear!" — one one-minute makeover tip at a time. Truthfully, it only takes a moment to refresh your style, like, for instance, with a touch of metallics. For today's little lesson, we're looking to high-impact shine to transform your everyday ensembles — and yes, we're talking about your daytime look, too. It's easier than you think. Just take a cue from this street-style crew, and read on for all of our editors' tips.
- Start simple. If you fear the potency of metallic shimmer, look to one great piece in an understated silhouette. A metallic knit is a great jumping-off point to amp up black skinny jeans (as evidenced by our style-savvy street styler). This is also a look you could easily wear during the day with flats or ankle boots, then out with heels. And, speaking of heels, metallic footwear happens to be a huge trend this season, as well as a pretty safe place to start experimenting with small doses of gold and silver.
- As you feel more comfortable with high-wattage metallics, feel free to mix and match gold, silver, pewter, and gunmetal shades. The trick to making it work is balancing all the shine with more grounded textures, like a woven knit or wool.
- Remember that metallic pieces are already bold, so don't overdo it (especially for day) with sexy silhouettes. Gold- or mercurial-hued pieces will feel the most sophisticated in classic silhouettes, like suiting, trousers, or tailored tops. They'll also be the pieces you'll be able to keep and rewear year after year.
We firmly believe that it takes only a minute to change your look with the right ingredients and a fresh set of eyes. Today, we're helping refresh your wardrobe with one easy styling trick and a piece you likely already have in your closet. The arrival of Fall and Winter usually means we bury our Summer maxi dresses and skirts, but we're all about taking them out of hiding to well, maximize, their potential with a few seasonal layers. Just take a cue from the style setters below: making the most of your maxi is just about giving it a Fall feel.
- The first thing to know — it doesn't matter what color or what fabric your maxi is. Even if you're working with a sheer finish or a creamy white hue, you can give your dress or skirt a more apropos seasonal twist with the other pieces you add in. For instance, if you have a sheer maxi or one with a slit, layer it up underneath with tights for added warmth.
- The most essential part of this look is how you top it off. Because the skirt and dress can feel floaty and at odds with the weather, anchor it with weightier, warmer pieces up top. Try a leather jacket and a cashmere pullover to offset the bottom half. If your dress has a slit, make it more daytime appropriate with a covered up jacket or a sophisticated blazer. Truthfully, these maxis work like a blank canvas, style them up with sweaters, furry vests, and heavier coats to shape them into unexpectedly seasonal outfits.
- Think of your footwear as the key to taking the look from day to night. Your footwear plays a crucial role in setting the tone for this look — with a flat, biker boot, this look becomes casual and daytime-accessible; with a heeled boot you can walk the line from day to night; and with a sexier ankle-strap you give the look a night-out feel.
Today's wardrobe refresh lets you have your slouchy sweater and a more defined shape, too. That's to say, we're getting a hold (rather, a cinch) on these chunkier Fall layers before they consume us. You don't need to break the bank to follow suit — all that's required for this mini overhaul is some strategic belt, plus topper, action. Take it from these seasoned style setters: giving your look an extra dose of definition is a cinch.
- The first thing you should know about giving your oversize sweater the belt treatment — it inevitably leads to a new take on proportions. Whether you pair this waist-enhancing accent with jeans on bottom or a slim-cut pencil skirt, it draws your eye to three, instead of two, shapely points: the torso, the waist, and the legs.
- If you're wearing a printed or supertextured sweater, we'd go for a thicker, wider belt to offset the dynamic pattern. A skinnier version may not break up the intrigue or your shape the way you'd want it to.
- Think of this one-minute makeover styling trick as another way to colorblock. We think this is the perfect excuse to play with Fall's color palette, while still injecting that same formula of waist-defining edge. And how? Just add your belt as the finishing touch. Our current combo to try out: camel + burgundy + metallic skinny belt.
The sporty vibe first got its stylish overhaul via Isabel Marant's pumped-up kicks and Rag & Bone's slick tuxedo-meets-racer stripe trousers. Now, it's more than a little evident that the athletic aesthetic has taken a turn for the outright academic. Welcome to the "new school" of sporty, where classic letterman jackets get the polished treatment, baseball caps aren't just for playing ball (and bad hair days), and preppy argyle prints prove perfect for low-key crewneck sweatshirts.But don't take our word for it, look to our latest crop of style setters for easy OMM (that's code for one-minute makeover, of course) inspiration. The thing is, you don't have to invest in a new set of clothes to achieve a similar brand of too-cool-for-school. In fact, we think it's worth a little journey to the back of your closet — and into your high school styling archives — to nail this look. Interest piqued? Keep reading for our 60-second makeover tips, and perhaps some extra credit, too.
What is it about leopard print that always looks instantly fabulous? No matter how you wear it, the pattern always manages to look cool and edgy — and it's one of the easiest ways to spice up your Fall ensemble. As you can see from these chic street stylers, leopard print can be donned in small or large doses, so whether you play it safe with a scarf or clutch, or go all out in a printed coat or top, there's really no wrong way to rock these spots.
- To achieve a laid-back leopard look, adjust your thinking: once you start to consider leopard print as a neutral, it will be infinitely easy to inject it into your current wardrobe. Start mixing your leopard pieces like you would anything else — a leopard scarf with a striped tee, spotted heels with floral pants, etc. It will look cool, hip, and totally effortless.
- A high-impact way to make your leopard print pieces feel fresh for Fall is to put them against a basic color palette. We love the look of an LBD topped with a leopard coat, and conversely, a leopard-print dress looks sleek and modern with a pair of red shoes or cinched at the waist with an emerald-hued belt.
- One of our favorites ways to get a jolt of leopard in a pinch is with a pair of printed shoes. A chic pair of flats — like Gap's Calf Hair Ballet Flats ($50) — is a simple way to get in on the trend, and makes a t-shirt and jeans look infinitely cooler.
For more ways to amp up your look in one minute, just click here.
To put an end to ever uttering the phrase "I have nothing to wear," we've culled our editors' styling tips to bring you a wealth of one-minute, change-up-your-wardrobe styling tricks. Sometimes you only have a minute and in those moments, it helps to have a few quick techniques on hand to steer you straight through a style conundrum. Read on to crib some simple style solutions to use when you're pressed for time.
- Layer up with a vest. A vest is an easy way to transition from day to night — just add a denim or leather version for a cool, downtown vibe over a dress or top.
- A bold bag can literally be a bright spot in an otherwise corporate wardrobe. If your office dress code doesn't leave lots of room to indulge your stylish side, a splash of color on your bag might be the best way to get your fashion fix.
- Add a statement necklace — it instantly dresses up a look! The addition of a bold jeweled necklace even on a dull tee or tank instantly draws the eye in and makes your basics feel infinitely more special. Forget the t-shirt lurking under that standout necklace — everyone else will too.
- Rule of thumb this season? The bolder, the better. After seeing wildly fun versions on the runways of Erdem, Prabal Gurung, Peter Som, and Jason Wu, we know that a great graphic print is versatile. Style a colorful floral blouse paired with a slick leather skirt for a more evening feel or go daytime polish in cropped kaleidoscope-hued pants with a casual button-up.
- Cinch your look at the waist. By adding a textured, embellished, or bold belt, you're not only injecting a cool accessory into the mix, you're also adding extra shape and dynamic to your silhouette. Let's put some stock into the saying, "if you got it, flaunt it."
Check out five more helpful tips when you keep reading.