While some may prefer to ring in 2013 with a wild New Year's Eve celebration, there are others — some of us included — who enjoy a more low-key kind of soiree. If your plans involve chillin' by the fire with your beau or a small get-together at a friend's house, we have just the right pieces for you to show off your casual-glam style. Think shimmery sweaters, pretty accessories, and just the right amount of sparkle . . . click the slideshow to see our 16 editor-approved picks.
No time like the present to get the most wear (and tear) on a pair of boots that, well, make you look good. Thus, we made it our mission to hunt down the most unique pairs for you, ones that fit the mold of fashionable and functional. Did we mention that they're all on sale, too? Inside, you'll find everything from equestrian styles and preppy quilted iterations to slicker studded variations. Even if you already own tall boots, you may want to consider adding a new pair to your wardrobe. After all, a girl can never have too many shoes, right? Check out 12 of our favorite pairs, then shop the one(s) you like best.
Let's face it — guys can be hard to shop for. Not to fear; we took on the challenge of finding the best gifts out there for that special guy in your life. Whether he's the sophisticated type who appreciates a gorgeous silk bow tie or a soft cashmere beanie, or is the creative kind who's in need of a stylish tome to write down his daily musings, we've rounded up the gifts to please any persona. Watch on to see our picks, and check out our other gift guides to make shopping easy for mom and friends. On Allison McNamara: Club Monaco top and skirt, House of Lavande earrings. Hair and makeup by Kasia Bohos.
If you're looking to cut loose on New Year's Eve, it might just be best to ditch the stilettos. Sure, party shoes have their place in our wardrobes, and we'll gladly smile through a little pain for a killer pair of heels; but, on NYE we won't let anything threaten a good time. If you're prone to achy heels and swollen toes, forgo the six-inch heels in favor of a pair that pull double duty. Inside, we've culled 12 of our favorites — from glittery flats to padded platforms, this batch is designed for comfort and style. Click through to find your own perfect dancing shoes for a happy (pain-free!) New Year's Eve.
We know it's the busiest — and most wonderful — time of the year, which usually means that not every outfit can be as put together as the last, especially where errands and holiday shopping are involved. We get it, we're right there with you. But to stay as on-point as possible, let's look to Jessica Hart's wintry attire for a quick burst of accessorized motivation. She's provided the perfect example of what to do — and wear — when you want to keep things simple but interesting, and here's why.
- Her black leggings and cinched black trench coat proved equally chic outfit choices. You really can't go wrong with an all-black palette . . . ever. But if you're not one to go the dark monochromatic route, the trick here is to keep it neutral and, preferably, tone on tone. We're assuming this is the kind of outfit you've just thrown together (to get out the door that much quicker), so if this is the case, opt for no-frill basics and a cozy classic coat.
- Oh hello, awesome leopard-print scarf! Amazing how one printed detail can so easily and instantly make an outfit come to life, right? We say, follow suit on this detail, or, if you prefer a different print — say, a giraffe print or an optic rendition? — go with that, but wear the print in a more subtle color. Browns, blacks, creams, and so on work best.
- The reason for keeping the wild-printed scarf not so wild? Just look to Hart's pop of red for your answer. The shoes take the cake in this outfit, and so we're paying homage to her expert accenting with a similar brand of red smoking-slipper excellence. These sultry-hued loafers are the perfect shopping companion — slip them on and go — and, quite frankly, they add enough polish to make the rest of the ensemble stand on its own sans fancy layers on top.
We're all on the hunt for gifts for our loved ones, and today, we've rounded up some great gift ideas for your stylish best friend. Whether it's a pair of simple gold earrings, a statement-making printed scarf, or a covet-worthy colorful clutch, press play to see what we plan on giving our fashionable friends. And while you're at it, treat yourself — we're pretty sure there's something chic in there for you, too! On Allison McNamara: H&M top, Stella & Dot necklace, TOMTOM ring.
What's the easiest way to keep your holiday styling stress-free? Stick to the bare (but bold) necessities. When you think "festive fashion," chances are, you conjure up images of metallic party dresses, sequined tops, and velvet accents, and you would be right to think this way. But let's be real. It's not exactly budget-friendly to splurge on an entirely new wardrobe just for a four-week-long holiday party circuit stint. That's why we've outlined the seven staples that will, in effect, get you through the season effortlessly and with that aforementioned element of sparkle and shine. We know you've already got the basics — denim, a great black dress, a chunky cardigan — so these particular picks provide the punch-up needed to take even the most casual outfit from laid-back to luxe. Some are subtle (a sophisticated lace top, for example) and some not so much (a bejeweled satin clutch is certainly a louder choice): the main goal here is to equip you with the essential inspiration to conquer holiday dressing sans wardrobe overhaul. Click through to map out your staples strategy now.
Winter may mean it's time to cover up our stems, but that doesn't mean we're ditching our skirts. Just as we've shown off our favorite ways to layer up top, we've handpicked a few standout ways to outfit your bottom half — and they don't include pants. Instead, we're taking this as an opportunity to add intrigue to our day to day with a variety of cozy knit tights and the perfect skirts to top them off. From party-ready pleats and lace to (even more) textural intrigue via tweed minis and herringbone tights, click through our styling guide for all of our tricks to outfitting statement tights and the skirts that go with them — then shop the perfect matchups!
If there's one thing we can count on Madewell for (aside from great denim), it's styling cues that are as easy as they are incredibly cool. Case in point: the brand's latest holiday lookbook, which supplies the festive styler and easygoing girl alike with plenty of party-outfit fodder. We're talking polka dots made chic and kelly-green skinnies with leopard skimmers here . . . the kind of quirk and playfulness you've come to expect from Madewell with a refreshingly grown-up, perfect-for-any-holiday-setting twist. We know how it goes, too. You start your December motivated and energized on the fashion front, and by the second week in, the drive to change up your cocktail dress M.O. has waned. That's why we couldn't have asked for a better boost of inspiration than this one. Inside, you'll find just what you need to get those styling wheels turning again. The requirements? A little bit of sparkle, something printed, and a great no-frills blazer. See our quick takeaway tips below, then click through for 12 ways to punch up your holiday style A-game.
- The sparkle-and-shine treatment doesn't have to be over the top, as evidenced by this green denim look. If you temper the sequined statement with, say, even bolder complements (hello, bright hues and leopard-printed skimmers), you don't run the risk of being overtaken by eye-catching embellishments.
- Polka dots can be made refined with some help from one classic navy-blue blazer and white pumps. The juxtaposition of whimsical print and tailored pieces works solely based on the strategic placement of the playful and the poised. Because you have a no-fail staple to offset the girlie polka dots, you can take your look from youthful to night out instantly.
- We love the idea of print on print (always), but what really stood out to us in this tougher take on the trend was the cropped trouser. Done up in a jacquard, printed, or brocade finish, these flashier pants can do all the outfit talking.
With only a week or so left to lock down your holiday shopping, we're helping you out by rounding up all of our amazing gift guide content. We've included everything — great gifts for your family members (even the picky ones!); your minimalist, bohemian, and girliest girlfriends; and even something for the special someone in your life — at all possible price points. Click through now to see and shop more than 250 perfect presents for everyone on your list!