>> Winter white came out to play this week — much to our pleasure. See who chose the snowy hue — and who chose otherwise — in the slideshow.
Model Irina Shayk nabbed the cover of this year's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, and inside there are plenty more bikini-clad ladies! Brooklyn Decker, who was on the front of 2010's edition, is a big movie star now after starring in the box office champ film Just Go With It, but she returned to her roots to pose in a two-piece along with John Legend's lovely lady friend Chrissy Teigen. Estée Lauder face Hilary Rhoda also joined the ranks along with Victoria's Secret's Izabel Goulart, whose fellow Angels Alessandra Ambrosio and Adriana Lima have also been busy showing skin — take a closer look at who's inside Sports Illustrated and also check out the magazine's site for even more!
Last night, before going off on hot Valentine's Day dates, Sports Illustrated hotties Hilary Rhoda, Anne Vyalitsyna (Adam Levine's girl and video model), Irina Shayk, Christine Teigen (John Legend's girlfriend), and more stopped by the David Letterman studios. What was the occasion? To unveil the newest SI cover girl. Drum roll please, it's Cristiano Ronaldo's flame, Russian model Irina Shayk. Click through to see the hot cover and the rest of the beauties outside the NYC studios. Then visit Pop for more hot shots from Irina's shoot.
Alessandra, Izabel, Maryna, and Isabeli Are Making Some Funny Faces in Dolce & Gabbana's Spring 2011 Ad Campaign
>> Now that the full set of Dolce & Gabbana's Spring 2011 ad campaign is out, the images together are quite something. Garance Dore noted earlier this week that both the Chloe and Valentino Spring campaigns show models who are actually smiling, and with Dolce, the models are also actually showing emotion, but of a different kind: Steven Klein captured Isabeli Fontana, Alessandra Ambrosio, Maryna Linchuk, and Izabel Goulart mid-yell in more than one image, and Alessandra goading Isabeli in another. Of course, there are the requisite sultry looks — this is Dolce & Gabbana we're talking about — but it's worth noting that models are starting to be given some freedom of expression when it comes to ads.
>> In the past few seasons, Riccardo Tisci has been something of a patron saint for leopard print. But for Pre-Fall 2011, he's putting it away in favor of a digitalized armadillo print — because, as he says, “Everyone is doing animal prints these days." Tisci also gave one of his favorite colors to work with a rest: "I didn't touch black on purpose. Brown is the new black." The resultant collection, full of the aforementioned brown, along with purples and creams, was shot on three of Tisci's current favorites — Lea T., Saskia de Brauw, and Izabel Goulart — with a snowy West Village street serving as their background.
>> Spring may not be in the air just yet, but the Spring 2011 ad campaigns sure are: The new year brought the release of a bevy, including Abbey Lee Kershaw's Tom Ford eyewear campaign and a look at Louis Vuitton's latest trio — Raquel Zimmermann, Kristen McMenamy, and Freja Beha Erichsen. There's also a peek at Chanel and Burberry (minus faces Ines de la Fressange for Chanel and Jourdan Dunn for Burberry, whose images have yet to appear), plus Gucci and Roberto Cavalli, left, featuring Laetitia Casta and Malgosia Bela.
As if we needed more proof that Victoria's Secret babes have taken over the fashion world, here they are in the first shot of Dolce & Gabbana's new Spring '11 ad campaign. Specifically, you're looking at Brazilian bombshells Izabel Goulart and Alessandra Ambrosio in a steamy stance, though in a totally different way than with VS ads. This shot is more natural, less contrived — sweating under the sweltering sun, hair tousled, wearing all white. Are you digging it? If you're an Alessandra fan, be sure to vote for her in our Model of the Year poll!
Lane Crawford's Sarah Rutson Not Taking Barneys Fashion Director Gig; British Fashion Awards to Honor Alexander McQueen
- Vogue's Virginia Smith turned down the Barneys fashion director position last week, and now the other front-runner, Lane Crawford fashion director Sarah Rutson, has too. “I have no intention or plans to leave Lane Crawford,” Rutson said over the weekend [WWD]
- Tomorrow's British Fashion Awards will honor Alexander McQueen posthumously for Outstanding Achievement; McQueen's frequent collaborator Nick Knight made a short film of the designer's archives for the occasion, scored by Bjork: “It is being styled by Edward Enninful and will feature black models only” [Style File]
- The first image of Dolce & Gabbana's Spring 2011 campaign, which features Izabel Goulart, Alessandra Ambrosio, Maryna Linchuk, and Isabeli Fontana captured by Steven Klein, has leaked (pictured) [TFS]
- Giorgio Armani and Lady Gaga, who have a multimillion dollar partnership, finally met for the first time last night; Anna Dello Russo also met Gaga and brought her a doll [Styleite]
- See the Ann Taylor-inspired looks the 2010 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund finalists created as part of this year's competition [Fashionista]
- Hairstylist Didier Malige on Terry Richardson's childhood: "Now I see Terry as an adult, and at the time I knew him as three or four years old. His upbringing was totally liberal compared to a French kid of his age. They had a Fiat 500, which is a tiny little car, and he always had to share it with a huge poodle, like a royal poodle. And he always had to sit in the back with the poodle." [Into The Gloss]
- Juicy Couture co-founders Pamela Skaist-Levy and Gela Nash-Taylor, who favor vintage pieces, furry vests, black leather pants, and vertiginous heels, plan to launch a new label next year, and they're dropping hints: “It will reflect the way we dress now. We have outgrown our track suits and grown up” [WWD]
- Sasha Pivovarova, who likes to make dolls, opens up her Brooklyn loft for T's cameras [T]
- Watch the music video for a young Jean Paul Gaultier's 1988 single, "How To Do That," featuring Naomi Campbell [Jezebel]
- 23-year-old Central St Martins graduate Thomas Tait only does private orders so far, but he's already got fans in Giles Deacon, Daphne Guinness, Stephen Jones, and Manolo Blahnik [T]
- Intermission Magazine's website just launched, featuring interviews with the likes of Gaia Repossi and Hanne-Gaby Odiele [Intermission]
The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show airs tomorrow, but we got backstage access at the show itself. Now we're sharing the beauty tips and tricks that the Angels used before the show. Ever wondered what these lovely ladies do to prep for the show and how they get such perfect hair and makeup, not to mention such even tans? Then take a peek behind the pink velvet curtains.
>> Carine Roitfeld, Inez van Lamsweerde, and Vinoodh Matadin were all in attendance for Wednesday's Victoria's Secret Fashion Show taping, and though it's apparently Roitfeld's favorite show (she attends almost every year), all three apparently had ulterior motives for their appearances — they were scoping out the cast for a Vogue Paris editorial.
The Imagist reports: "[Roitfeld didn't just want] a dose of good old American spectacle. Let's just say there's a veeeery sexy Inez and Vinoodh edit abrewing for Vogue Paris. Extra points to the gossip gurl who can suss out who the cast for that booking will be. There's said to be at least 3 angels (past n present) in the mix." And today, jewelry designer Rodrigo Otazu Tweeted: "Busy morning with French Vogue shoot [sic] today with top models Karolina Kurkova, Lily Donaldson, Adriana Lima and Izabel Goulart." The cast fits the description: Kurkova, Lima, and Goulart are three Victoria's Secret Angels past and present.