Labor Day is just around the corner, and whether you are heading out of town, attending a backyard barbecue, or hanging around your city for a staycation, we have seven celeb-approved looks just for you. Get sporty in a pair of leather track shorts like Jessica Hart, showcase the new Fall It color in a red-hot look like Jordana Brewster, go girlie in a printed minidress like Leslie Bibb, or amp up your little black dress with a bevy of statement necklaces like Camila Alves. Click through to draw inspiration from these trendsetting starlets, then shop their looks — a few exact pieces! — for yourself to ensure a very fashionable Labor Day.
We were never too fond of gym shorts in high school, but we're newly convinced of their style potential, thanks to Jessica Hart's breezy end-of-Summer look. The Australian beauty drew inspiration from the sporty trend to give a newly chic identity to the athletic gear of our past. With a couple of simple styling tricks, you can master the look all on your own.
- Keep it simple. Sporty shorts like Jessica's are meant to feel laid-back, so don't overthink your outfit. Look to Hart and opt for an easy, slouchy (but not oversize) tee to top your bottoms. Likewise, an understated palette like Jessica's black and white will give your look a chic, stylized edge.
- Don't interpret the trend too literally. Actual gym shorts will look just like you're headed to a workout; instead, look for a pair that feel sporty, like this faux-leather version. The drawstring waist will lend an athletic vibe that's easy to style with your other wardrobe staples.
- Opt for cool-girl details. Another way to keep your look from seeming like your actual workout gear is to add in killer details like Jessica's luxe Balenciaga bag, oversize sunglasses, and a pair of silver metallic sandals. Note: you can opt for sneakers, but stick to cool kicks like a pair of Converse, printed Vans, or luxe high-tops to complement your slick style.
Jessica Hart might have been dressed down in a white tee, denim cutoffs, and high-top white Converse sneakers ($45) while walking her pup in NYC, but per usual the model managed to still look stunning. Her short shorts accentuated her gorgeous gams, while her lust-worthy locks peeked out from under her sporty red cap. Jessica finished her street style with an oversized watch, a few bracelets, and a black canvas backpack. Channel your inner model with a white tee, denim cutoffs, and her exact Converse for a low-key day at the park, or take a cue from Miley and work your high-top kicks with a floral dress.
Calling all Rolex lovers: Moda Operandi has teamed with Bamford Watches and a bevy of fashion folk for a capsule collection of limited edition Rolexes — and they're all available right now. Nina Garcia, Brad Goreski, Jessica Hart, Frederic Fekkai, and Tommy Ton are among the editors, photographers, stylists, and models who were tapped to customize the watches; each put their individual stamp on everything — from the logo to the hands — in order to ensure that these are some of the most unique wrist pieces around. Priced from $14,400 to $24,800, they're all available exclusively on Moda Operandi through Aug. 23.
— Robert Khederian
Those stories and more in our daily news roundup.
- After seasons of working with MAC Cosmetics, Alexander Wang will partner with Nars on his Spring 2013 show during New York Fashion Week. [Style.com]
- For its debut ad campaign, accessories line Pour La Victoire enlisted Terry Richardson to photograph model Jessica Hart at a club in New York City. [WWD]
- Just like her ready-to-wear, Stella McCartney's Olympic uniforms for Team Great Britain are the subject of envy and desire. "Everyone in the Olympic Village wants to trade with us," said gold medalist rower Pete Reed. "Lots of other nations look so plain and flat. Our kit is really something to be proud of." [Vogue UK]
- ICB — the brand revived by Prabal Gurung — will debut its first American ad campaign in the September issue of Vogue. [The Cut]
- Love Magazine partnered with artist Yayoi Kusama (who herself recently partnered with Louis Vuitton) on an iPad app that allows users to employ Kusama's favorite decoration: the dot. [Refinery29]
- Heidi Klum has reprised her role as the face of Jordache Jeans. She first partnered with the brand in 2007 and designed a capsule collection for it in 2008. [Styleite]
Photo: Gisele Bundchen does her makeup backstage before Alexander Wang's Fall 2012 show.
It's Friday, which means it's time to crown CelebStyle's top star styles of the week. Our standouts this week were Rashida Jones, who worked a bold print Thakoon dress with crystal-coated Valentino sandals; Rachel Weisz, who turned heads in a stunning strapless Christian Dior number with bow-accent Christian Louboutin pumps; Rachel Bilson in her menswear-inspired Malene Birger and Alexander McQueen look with classic feminine flair; and a few more including Jessica Alba, Anne Hathaway, and Jessica Hart. From red-carpet stunners to casual Summer style, these six starlets really turned it out. Take a closer look at their chic ensembles, see why each trendsetter was crowned, then re-create their looks for your next outing.
Australian model Jessica Hart has no shortage of cool-girl outfits, and the one she wore to a QVC party in NYC is just another one of them. What we particularly admire here is that Jessica took a '70s-style floppy hat and managed to give it a modern spin. She started with a navy blue shortsleeve top and paired it with an ethereal ivory pleated skirt. She then finished off with the perfect Summer accessories: a straw satchel, matching tan t-strap sandals, and of course, a glamorous floppy hat that stole the show. Inspired by Jessica, dust off your floppy hat and give it a modern spin by pairing it with a tee, pleated skirt, and neutral accessories. Shop similar pieces below to get started.
It's no secret that we love a Summer dress with sneakers, but if a miniskirt is more your speed, Jessica Hart's latest may just be the coolest way to style up your leg-baring bottoms. The Australian stunner balanced out a wild-print mini with a slouchy knit on top and classic white kicks on bottom, making the style a perfect blend of print and laid-back basics. The key is balanced proportions — Jessica played off a looser top with a body-con mini, then cinched the easy ensemble with an eye-catching tote. We suspect she may just be running errands around the East Village, but you'd be pretty perfectly dressed for just about any laid-back Summer afternoon with this kind of cool-girl styling.
Nicole Richie was spotted leaving a dinner date in Malibu last night with friend and Australian model Jessica Hart. The ladies dined at Nobu and got a lift home from Nicole's husband, Joel Madden. The Madden-Richie family is back in the states following an extended stay Down Under where Joel served as a mentor on Australia's version of The Voice.
Now that they're settling back into their routine at home, Nicole is returning to business mode as she preps to launch her first fragrance. The scent, appropriately titled Nicole, is due out in September and will serve as an extension of her lifestyle brands. In addition to being a fashion designer, entrepreneur, and TV personality, Nicole's is also in the running for this year's sexiest bikini body — be sure to fill out your bikini bracket for a chance to win your favorite Summer sunglasses with $500 from Neiman Marcus!
Model Jessica Hart has nailed street style — we loved when she mixed pink and tan and leopard with sneakers — and her latest creation is the perfect no-fuss Summer ensemble. She started with a black loose-fitting t-shirt maxi dress by Pencey Standard — here is the coral version ($55, originally $110) and heather gray style ($110) — then pumped up the look via standout accessories: a straw floppy hat, round shades, TOMS Glitter Slip-Ons ($54), a silver chunky watch, and a blue Goyard bag. It's a simple outfit but one that packs mega punch. Shop similar pieces, including her exact shoes, to achieve the model's no-fuss style all Summer.