Kim Kardashian stepped out in NYC donning a daring double-breasted Balmain tuxedo jacket dress ($3,970) with suede ankle-strap Gianvito Rossi pumps. She accessorized with a pair of sparkling diamond studs and her signature effortless waves. Earlier this year, we spotted Diane Kruger test-driving this trend in a lilac 3.1 Phillip Lim tuxedo vest dress, and with Kim on board too, we hope it inspires you to also take the plunge. Shop Kim's exact black tuxedo jacket dress — or wear your oversize blazer as a dress — to pair with these black ankle-strap Vera Wang pumps ($325) for a sexy look that will turn heads wherever you go.
Kristen Stewart is out in Australia for the Sydney premiere of Snow White and the Huntsman and selected a figure-hugging, forest green two-piece ensemble from Balmain's Fall 2012 collection. She let the regal embroidery take center stage and chose not to wear the belt shown on the runway. She complemented her look with a tousled updo and crystal-encrusted Christian Louboutins. Watch today's Fab Flash to hear more about her look. On Allison McNamara: Honey Rose & K earrings, H&M jacket.
Jennifer Aniston and boyfriend Justin Theroux left LA for Paris, and after a quick change of jeans from her airport look, Jennifer was ready to tour the romantic city in a classic-slash-cool look: a navy double-breasted Balmain blazer with gold buttons, a white tank, cuffed jeans, these comfy white Superga sneakers ($70), mirrored aviators, a brown bag, and a printed Balmain scarf — here's a similar version ($399, originally $615). If you have an upcoming vacation that requires lots of strolling and sightseeing but you still want to look cute, then copy Jennifer's laid-back chic outfit on one of the days.
Need a quick how-to in red hot minis and seriously stacked bling? Look no further than Ciara. The sexy songstress arrived in a sizzling Balmain number with a whole lot of edged-up accents. Take note of the dress's silver zipper details on each long sleeve, the added front slit, and a cool safety-pin embellishment at the hip. While Ciara's beachy waves and nude pointy-toe pumps maintained a low-key vibe, it was her stacks upon stacks of gorgeous diamond rings that begged for a double take. With more than 10 rings on hand, and siren attire to boot, the singer was hard to miss. What do you think — did Ciara nail it?Vote on all of our MTV Movie Awards polls here!
Balmain designer Olivier Rousteing told Style.com that he'll be taking model Joan Smalls as his date. Anthony Vaccarello has confirmed he'll be accompanied by Anja Rubik. Jason Wu will attend with Karlie Kloss, and Haider Ackermann will walk the red carpet with Constance Jablonski.
The site has also confirmed another spate of pairings: Roland Mouret is taking Doutzen Kroes; Rachel Zoe and her husband, Rodger Berman, will attend with Karolina Kurkova; Erdem Moralioglu will dress Arizona Muse; and Thakoon Panichgul is taking actress Christina Ricci.
It has also recently been revealed that Heidi Klum will wear a "very very lacy and very very see-through" one-of-a-kind dress by Escada. Chanel's official attendee will be French actor Gaspard Ulliel, face of the brand's Bleu de Chanel fragrance.
Previously confirmed pairings include Alexander Wang and rapper Azealia Banks, who tweeted that she would perform at the Met Gala last week; Proenza Schouler's Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez with Australian actress Isabel Lucas; and Joseph Altuzarra with Lana Del Rey. Coco Rocha will attend with her husband, James Conran, wearing a vintage dress by Givenchy.
The Met Gala will be live streamed for the first time from 6:30-8:30 p.m. EDT on May 7.
Update: Everyone from Sarah Jessica Parker to Giovanna Battaglia has decided what they're wearing tonight. Below, a list of everything we know so far:
- Kristen Stewart will wear Balenciaga and attend the Gala with Nicola Ghesquiere.
- Gwyneth Paltrow will wear Prada. Linda Evangelista will also wear Prada, and will attend as Miuccia Prada's date.
- Renee Zellweger will wear Emilio Pucci.
- Jessica Stam will wear Dior.
- Cameron Diaz will attend with Stella McCartney.
- Lauren Santo Domingo will wear Oscar de la Renta.
- Kate Upton will attend the gala with Michael Kors, who is also dressing Jessica Alba and Liu Wen.
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Lily Cole wil both wear Valentino.
- Amy Adams will wear Giambattista Valli Couture.
- Scarlett Johansson is wearing custom Dolce & Gabbana, but the house will also dress Bianca Brandolini d'Adda, Andrea Dellal, Giovanna Battaglia, and Marpessa Hennink.
- Brooklyn Decker, Liya Kebede, Rashida Jones, and Tory Burch will all wear gowns of Burch's design.
- Kristen Bell and Dee Hilfiger will both wear Tommy Hilfiger.
- Dree Hemingway will wear Topshop.
- Farida Khelfa will wear vintage Schiaparelli.
- Emma Stone will wear Lanvin.
- Stella Tennant, Poppy Delvigne, Astrid Bergès-Frisbey, and Sigrid Agren will wear Chanel.
- Claire Danes will attend the gala with her husband Hugh Dancy and Gilles Mendel. She'll wear J. Mendel, and so will Aerin Lauder and actress Christine Taylor. Taylor will attend with her husband Ben Stiller.
- Burberry will be dressing Cara Delvigne, Jourdan Dunn, Gabriella Wilde, Vanessa Kirby, Douglas Booth, Mario Testino, Casey Affleck, and Roo Panes.
- Prabal Gurung is dressing Greta Gerwig.
Photo: Doutzen Kroes wearing Giambattista Valli to the 2011 Met Gala.
The White House Correspondents' Dinner wasn't the only fashion-packed event this week. The Shops at Target launch in New York brought major style, with the likes of Hilary Rhoda, Emma Roberts, and Leelee Sobieski each hitting the red carpet in their casual-chic finest. Balmain celebrated the launch of its new social media initiative with an intimate dinner that brought designer Olivier Rousteing and a bevy of Balmain-clad supermodels: Constance Jablonski, Karlie Kloss, Arizona Muse, and Kasia Struss— just to name a few.
In London, the style set made a strong showing as well. Dita Von Teese and Daphne Guinness turned up to fete Christian Louboutin at a private viewing of the famed shoe designer's latest exhibit, and Poppy Delevigne, Emma Roberts, and Tali Lennox were all on hand to toast Derek Blasberg at Gucci's event in honor of Very Classy. The Women For Women International Gala brought a nice dose of glamour; Mischa Barton, Charlotte Dellal, and Olivia Grant were among those whose red carpet looks made a lasting impression.
See all that — plus more of the week's best — right here in the slideshow.
Our daily news roundup.
- Ashton Kutcher plays a Karl Lagerfeld-inspired character in a new ad for Pop Chips. Kutcher wears a white wig, dark sunglasses, and plenty of silver accessories as his character Darl talks about what he looks for in a date. "Money creates taste, and I have lots of both," Darl quips. [Styleite]
- Bygone couture label Mainbocher and shoe line Herbert Levine, among other shuttered brands, are set to relaunch in the near future thanks to French investor Arnaud de Lummen. De Lummen is known for restarting Vionnet in 2006 before selling it to Matteo Marzotto and Gianni Castiglioni in 2009. "When you relaunch, you already have a story to tell. After a few years, people completely forget that the brand was dormant," De Lummen said. [Vogue UK]
- Tom Ford's Spring 2012 menswear lookbook has been called risqué for featuring images of a near-naked male model — and a female model wearing nothing but a towel on her head. [Fashionista]
- Balmain launched its first social medial profiles on Twitter and Facebook on Wednesday. "We have product and pictures and creations to show, and we’re ready to communicate with the followers," said the brand's CEO Emmanuel Diemoz. [WWD]
- Speaking of social media, model and blogger Hanneli Mustaparta has been tapped as a contributor to Calvin Klein's new Tumblr page. Mustaparta will write about her behind-the-scenes experiences with the brand. [Calvin Klein]
- Aquascutum might be saved from bankruptcy thanks to Chinese firm YGM Trading, which has begun taking steps to buy the label. If the sale goes through, YGM would own Aquascutum entirely — it already owns the brand's intellectual property rights and controls sales of Aquascutum in Asia. [The Cut]
Photo courtesy of Tom Ford
Celebrity trends may come and go, but we are thrilled to see the denim shirt holding steady among Hollywood's hottest. Every celeb has her own way of wearing the trend, and we particularly love how these 17 stars worked the basic fashion staple. Channel your inner fashionista by styling denim on denim like Kate Bosworth, balance a pair of darker bottoms with a denim top like Taylor Swift, or layer a chambray blouse over a floral maxi skirt like Jenna Dewan. As you can see from these looks, a denim shirt is super versatile; it works well with everything. So step inside to see more celebs working the trend, then shop our favorite picks.
Sometimes we love it when celebs forgo feminine frocks and wear fashionable suits for a borrowed-from-the-boys look. These 26 celebs switched up the norm by donning fresh suits — both with trousers and shorts — at premieres, parties, and other fabulous events. Some looked totally office appropriate in classic cuts, while others were ready to party in bold patterns and colors. Whether you prefer a monochromatic look like Taylor Schilling in a blue Elizabeth and James number and Heidi Klum in red or love a bold pattern like Alexa Chung, you will definitely stand out in the crowd with any of these looks. Step inside to see 26 A-listers rocking menswear-inspired suits, then shop our widgets to find the perfect mix just for you.
Olivier Rousteing conjured up a Louis the XIV-meets-rocker vibe for Balmain's Fall 2012. It's Balmain's signature cool-girl appeal done up in rich Baroque-era references — brocade and pearl embellishments cover nearly everything, slim pants and maxi skirts feel infinitely more luxe in velvet fabrications, and pretty floral-embroidered details feel almost like oil paintings. When we're not taken with the decadent craftsmanship, we're looking to slick silhouettes that counter the 17th-century feel with the rocker-inspired edge. But there's less leather here than you think — only a few slim leather pants and body-con leather tops; the rest is done up in velvet, and even moto-style quilted vests are finished in the same plush fabrications. The real star of this show is ornate embellishment married with Balmain's sharp silhouettes. This is where Rousteing crafts his cool — a kind of nod to the classics, an homage to elegance with a definitively modern point of view.
- Trends: Brocade, pearl embellishment, slits, velvet, leather, metallic, military-style jackets, baroque references.
- Colors: Black, peach, white, blue, mint green, silver, gold.
- Key Piece: If we had to pick favorites it would be the moto-style vests and embellished minis.
- Accessories: Lace-up ankle boots.
- Who Would Wear It: Kristen Stewart or Emmanuelle Alt could carry these looks effortlessly.